splitter fitting questions

/ splitter fitting questions #11  
Good tanks, do more than hold and let the oil cool.

They keep water out, not only out but by release of the water vapor the hot oil boils off. And let water stay separate from the oil not being turned in a emulsion (mayonnaise) until it can vaporize away.

Prevent cavitation of the pump. The tank should not let a suction vortex form or otherwise provide air to the pump. This includes preventing air bubbles being put into the oil by the return line.

Propane tanks will work if plumbed correctly.

/ splitter fitting questions #12  
Just to be clear, whatever tonnage the splitter is claimed to be rated at has nothing to do with sizing the reservoir.

Pump flow and pressure are what decide

/ splitter fitting questions #13  
What you need to remember is how much fluid you need to extend your cylinder. A 4in bore cylinderr will take 0.653 gal of fluid per foot of stroke. A 24instroke will take 1.3 gal of fluid just to extend the cylinder. Everything else returns to tank. If your tank only holds a couple of gals of fluid, and you use over half of that just to extend your cylinder, then you are recirculating the remaining .7 gal thru the pumps, reliefs and all the other heat generating parts, 15 times per min with a 11gpm pump. This doesnt leave the fluid much time to give off any heat generated. with that fast of circulation rate, the fluid is spraying into the small capacity tank, mixing with air. This causes foaming of oil and cavatation of the pump. Hot oil, sucking air= pump failure, sooner rather than later. A gas grill tank will hold about 5 gal of fluid. That 5 gal capacity compared to actual fluid needed to make your parts move is about a 5:1 ratio. This is still exchanging the entire tank capacity about 3 times per min, but it does give the oil some time to cool down between circulation. With a tall narrow rectangle shaped tank, the surface area of the tanks sides exposed to the atmosphere is greater than a round tank of the same capacity and will provide more cooling effect for the oil. Double the surface area will equate to a quadruple cooling effect. If your going to use a small hydraulic tank, go for a tall, narrow, rectangle shaped tank instead of the round propane tank. Ask yourself how many round factory hydraulic tanks have you ever seen, and if you have seen a factory round tank, did the equipment also have a oil cooler installed.

/ splitter fitting questions
I was going to plumb it properly, and with a vented cap, but I see what you are saying about cooling surface. I HAVE BEEN (unsuccessfully so far) looking for suitable donor metal to make a rectangular one.

From what you guys are saying, its a miracle this thing worked with a 3qt the reservoir it has had for years.

/ splitter fitting questions #15  
While I agree that a good designed hydraulic reservoir with ample fluid capacity should be used on a splitter there is always something out there that wants to prove us wrong. Back in the 70's Didier made splitters for John Deere , Sears Robuck , Montgomery Ward, and many others with a 1 1/2 gallon capacity and 45 years later 1000's are still working.

Attachments

• splitter2013 080.jpg
    splitter2013 080.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107
   / splitter fitting questions #16  
My splitter has some black pipe, barbed fittings, and the high pressure hydro hose. The black pipe, and barbed hose leak. If I was doing it again I would spend a little more and use the high pressure hose for everything. The propane tank should work. The aluminum beer kegs would be better.

Well I am not opposed at all to using high pressure fittings, since I do not want leaks either. In fact I would have used them earlier, but the local shop that make the hoses, didn't have the right fittings for me.

I like your user name. What brand? I have a Marlin 1895 SS Guide gun. LOVE that rifle.

While I agree that a good designed hydraulic reservoir with ample fluid capacity should be used on a splitter there is always something out there that wants to prove us wrong. Back in the 70's Didier made splitters for John Deere , Sears Robuck , Montgomery Ward, and many others with a 1 1/2 gallon capacity and 45 years later 1000's are still working.

That looks almost identical to mine. At least before the PO raised it to waist level. My tank looks like that one, but my measurements calculate it at only 3/4 gallon.

4570man

I would use aluminum but I cannot weld aluminum, and I want to weld or braze in the fittings.