Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help

/ Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help #1  

ohiogar

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300
I am trying to remove the hydro section from the next to rear housing
on a 4200 john deere hydro tractor. (see pics)
Motor is already off
there are three remaining sections:
there is the housing where the hydo is encased.
then there is the section that housed the driveshaft and I am guessing the range shaft
then there is the rear end or third member housing.

I would think that the hydro housing and the middle housing would separate by unbolting them
which i have tried and can only separate them maybe 1/8 inch at most.
The pdf manual is hard to find anything on so I am asking
if any one of you knows how to split the hydro section from the rest of the machine?

Do I remove the two sections together?

I am at a loss here.

Attachments

• hydro-2.jpg
    hydro-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
   / Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help #2  
I thought that the hydro section on my 4300 was secured by a few bolts inside the housing. I'll recheck my manual tonight.

/ Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help #3  
On the 4300 you first remove the fwd/rev operator rods, then 5 bolts that connect the transmission to the tunnel. IIRC, you also need to remove the centering spring assembly.

/ Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help #4  
When i split my 4300, i kept the bell housing on the engine half. The manual specified to split at this location. It appears that you dplit at the tear of engine. See pic of my split 4300. Did you remove all hydraulic tubes that are inside the bellhousing? A pic looking inside the bellhousing might be helpful.
20170626_052240.jpg
20170626_052236.jpg

/ Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help
I like your stands They are pretty ingenius
I am actually disassembling the 4200 to part it out.
The hydro ID tag is attached to that housing over your bucket
and I thought the hydro unit came off with that housing.
I am going to have to relook at it in the morning.
I looked at those hydro lines a little. they are going to be cute loosening them.
Will look at it in the AM
Thanks a bunch, gary

/ Splitting jd 4200 hydro ...Help #6  
Thanks. I threw the splitting jacks together when i had to replace a broken control rod on the 4300. Local JD dealer wouldn't even venture a guess at the time required to split the 4300. They just wanted a blank check. I made the jacks before i had a real welder or shop space. A pair of HF casters, some square and round tube drops, and some 3/4" allthread and nuts. Took a couple hours to throw together. The caster jacks attach to the loader mounting bosses. Jacks worked fantastic on the back porch which was the only flat concrete pad on the farm at the time.

All the tubes in the tunnel are disconnected from the bottom opening, including the one on your pic.