Spraying dandelions with small tree's around

/ Spraying dandelions with small tree's around #1  

DeereDoc

Tractor
John Deere 4200
Most years I spray for dandelions in the fall with 2-4-D either the Amine-400 or LV-400 depending on the weather.

Last year I didn't and regretted it this spring - if I don't get it done this fall it will be worse next spring I'm positive

My concern is that I have about 15 white oak bare root tree's I planted about 18 months ago. They are all doing quite good and are in tree tubes but I don't want to not think about it, spray, and then kill off my labor of love for the sake of the dandelions.

Thoughts? Any difference between the LV and Amine as to which would cause more trouble? Hoping the tree tubes would help prevent much spray from getting on the leaves of the tree's themselves (they range from probably 1' tall to 4' tall).

I have done plenty of internet searching with very little success.

Thanks!

/ Spraying dandelions with small tree's around #2  
As long as it wasn't too hot and sunny when you sprayed, I would bag the trees. Slip a trash bag over each tree and tie it snug around the tube. That should protect them from the spray drift, and you can remove the bags after the spray settles and vapors reduce.

/ Spraying dandelions with small tree's around #3  
I had concerns also with spraying, been wanting to spray yard for years, but concerned about spray drift and vapor.. this year, I waited until weather was cool, no wind and sprayed. My setup is not a fine mist, but larger droplets and temp was cool enough I was not worried about vapor spreading. Worked great, only regret is that I did not mix a second tank and spray more.

X2 on Trash bagging your young trees

/ Spraying dandelions with small tree's around #4  
You should beware of 2-4D traveling in rain runoff and/or leaching into soil in root zone of trees and other plants. LV is oil base,Amine is water base. Both,LV and Amine are subject to leaching but Amine more so because it's water based. LV is more effective in low temperature so you might wait until leaves fall or spray before bud break in spring. If you spray while there are no leaves,avoid contact with bark. Alternates include Glosophate(Round-up) and defolanants that are neutralized by sun and ground contact,thereby far less risk of leaching. Light disturbance of soil in the fall while roots are shallow will knock out a lot of the Dandelion.