spring pin removal kubota B2400

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400 #1  

tomf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400 HST
Can anyone tell me how to remove the spring pin from the hand throttle on a kubota B2400? I have the service manual which says to "tap" it out. But the spring pin appears to wedged in too tightly.
Do I need a special tool or what? Thanks for any help. Tom

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400 #2  
Are you referring to the pin that holds the throttle lever that's on top of the dash? If so, you might want to try a little penetrating oil on it, then support it from behind to drive it out. All those roll pins are tight and it will take a pretty good shot to get it started.

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400 #3  
Yes, you do sorta need a special tool; i.e., the right size blunt punch and a small hammer. If you have those, it's an easy job; if not, you can try gripping the end with a pair of dykes (wire cutters) and carefully pry the pin out, changing the gripping point frequently during the process, but you have to be careful not to cut it in two.

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400 #4  
Tomf,
I don't know about your application but as Bird said use a punch that is flat on the end. It's diameter should be larger than the inner diameter of the pin and smaller than the diameter of the hole the pin goes thru. Hammering on the part may be a problem even when supporting the part on the backside. Another way is to spray with penetrating oil, place a metal tube or something similar over the backside of the pin and using Channel Locks, vise grips or C clamp, squeeze the pin thru into the metal tube. If you're going to reinstall the same pin it is best not to completely push it out.

TK

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400 #5  
If you don't have a blunt punch use a screw or bolt as the punch. Lot's cheaper than going out buying a punch just to get 1 pin out.

Bill Tolle

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400 #6  
Right Bill, just make sure the bolt or screw doesn't try to go inside the roll pin which will make removal almost impossible by spreading the pin larger.

TK

/ spring pin removal kubota B2400
Thanks for all the advice. This is what I ended up doing. I sprayed the pin with some wd-40, wedged a 2x4 between the handle and loader frame, bought a pin punch set for $11 at home depot, and punched it out with a hammer and punch.

Bracing the handle with the 2X4 allowed for several good wacks with the hammer and punch. After I had the right tools and figured out how to brace the handle it took about 10 seconds to get the pin out.

Again thanks for the advice. You guys got me moving in the right direction Tom