Squealing 4510

/ Squealing 4510 #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I had my 4510 idling, the air conditioner was on. I was perhaps 50 feet away and suddenly a loud squeal/squal noise came from under the hood. I ran up and shut it down. I expected to see something caught under the belt or it almost seemed that something locked up and a belt was slipping. When I restarted it the sound was gone although I turned off the fan/ac but even when I restarted the AC the sound did not reappear.
I used the tractor the rest of the day without incident, no heat problems or oil problems etc. It was quite a loud squealing noise and was curious if there are any ideas as to the cause/cure. Thanks

/ Squealing 4510 #2  
If it was belt squeal, it could have been the A/C compressor pulley. If it happens again, and you have time, turn the A/C off and see if the squeal disappears. Lots of things can make belts squeal...usually a loose belt or worn belt, one of the bearings going bad, big load on your alternator, etc. If you recently recharged the A/C, you could have too much oil in the system causing the compressor to bind up. Maybe it was just a fluke....

/ Squealing 4510 #3  
I had my 4510 idling, the air conditioner was on. I was perhaps 50 feet away and suddenly a loud squeal/squal noise came from under the hood. I ran up and shut it down. I expected to see something caught under the belt or it almost seemed that something locked up and a belt was slipping. When I restarted it the sound was gone although I turned off the fan/ac but even when I restarted the AC the sound did not reappear.
I used the tractor the rest of the day without incident, no heat problems or oil problems etc. It was quite a loud squealing noise and was curious if there are any ideas as to the cause/cure. Thanks

I have had this issue quite a bit with my new 2014 6110. It gave me problems all summer and was advised by the dealer that they have never had this problem before. It finally got to the point that I was unable to use the tractor because the weather was so hot it became an oven. The pulley on the compressor wasn't turning and the belt began to wear thin. Now that the weather has cooled off it has began working completely normal. I was told that it would cost me to bring it in but they would check it over "if" it were a warranty issue. Why wouldn't it be a warranty issue? It's NEW! With all the other problems that I've had with this tractor I've already decided to eventually trade it in and never buy another. I guess you get what you pay for by buying something half the price of a decent name brand.

/ Squealing 4510 #4  
I have had this issue quite a bit with my new 2014 6110. It gave me problems all summer and was advised by the dealer that they have never had this problem before. It finally got to the point that I was unable to use the tractor because the weather was so hot it became an oven. The pulley on the compressor wasn't turning and the belt began to wear thin. Now that the weather has cooled off it has began working completely normal. I was told that it would cost me to bring it in but they would check it over "if" it were a warranty issue. Why wouldn't it be a warranty issue? It's NEW! With all the other problems that I've had with this tractor I've already decided to eventually trade it in and never buy another. I guess you get what you pay for by buying something half the price of a decent name brand.

Jeff, I just responded to your other post about your 6110...now I see this one where you "guess you got what you paid for..." Maybe in your case you did...I've had my 6000 for 12 years, just put the 2nd battery in it last week...so I guess I've had a "recurring problem" as well...I suppose you should take a huge loss and go buy something twice as expensive....as the Food Lion says: "Just my 2 cents". BobG in VA