SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
I started a new thread on this as I believer I confused folks with the previous title that could be confused with a particular brand.

After doing a search I am somewhat confused - normal for me. Did a bit of plowing yesterday with the bucket as I always have done, and while OK there must be an easier way. I have the SSQA plate on my loader and two hydraulic remote connection up front (run from rear remotes) too to operate a plow blade (current use is my hay grapple) while still having full loader arm control (lift and tilt).

I'm am guessing that a 7' blade would fit, but have no knowledge how to size. I am assuming you calculate the width needed with full blade tilt and still be wider than the tractor. Is this correct?
While speaking of blade tilt/swing angle what is the minimum needed? Many have mention in other posts of needing at least 30 degrees or more. Most of the units I am finding are only 25 degrees of tilt.

What brands and models can folks recommend. I saw the Hiniker brand mentioned several times. Thier blades are not steel - is this an advantage? I see the Quickattach folks have one too but thier only got to 25 degrees.

What makes for a good plow set up over others? However I would still like to back drag my drive in front of the garage like I can with my bucket - will these plows allow this? I do have chains for all four wheels.
Thanks for any help.

Keith

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #2  
I made mine from an old 7'6" Diamond steel truck blade. I have a Curtis poly blade on my truck. My tractor is 66" wide so the blade a full angle covers my tracks. I can't say one brand is better than another but they all seem to work well. QA plows are made by many companies such as Diamond, Hiniker, Curtis, Meyers, Fisher, Boss, to name a few.

As far as angle, 25 degrees is more than enough to plow snow. Too much angle may tend to push the front of the tractor in the opposite direction. The better brands incorporate a crossover relief valve to relieve pressure if the cutting edge hits an immovable object.
Yes, you can back drag using a plow blade.

The key to using a plow is to get the A frame level when lowered. That way the blade cutting edge stays level when angled. If the A frame isn't level the end of the blade will dig into the ground when angled.

My plow frame is rigidly attached to the QA plate and the cutting edge has trip springs in case it hits something. I don't use the loader in float mode. I have a gravel drive ans lower the arms till the blade touches then pick it up an inch. That keeps weight on the front wheels for better steering. If I had a paved drive I'd lower till the cutting edge touches and plow.

Others use a setup like you see on a truck using a chain to allow the blade to float on its own.

Look at the bottom of this thread for similar posts or do a Google search at the top of the page for QA plows for other ideas.

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #3  
I did the same as George2615. I made a quick attach plow from an old Meyer 7.5' truck plow I picked up for $300. Welded two 2"x2" boxes on the bottom of a quick attach plate for the plow mounts and welded a D ring on the top of the plate for the chain to raise the plow up and down. Hooked up the hydraulics and have a fully functional plow for around $450. Was my first welding project, so learned a lot too.

My tractor is 66" wide, and the 7.5' plow is just wider when full angled. I keep the loader arms 6-8 inches off the driveway, and tilt the plate forward to allow the plow to float by providing slack to the lift chain.

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #4  
Subscribing, I may be in the same boat buying a new or lightly used SSQA plow if I end up not resurrecting & converting to SSQA the beatup truck plow I got for $100.

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene, UHMW or commonly just poly, or even sometimes just plastic is great stuff. Very wear resistant, self lubricating & rather insulating. Lots of people like it because it wears as well if not often a lot better than steel. Snow also doesn't stick to it because it's really slick (equivalent to Teflon) & also doesn't conduct heat well, so even if it's warm it won't melt snow so it can re-freeze & stick. If I get a new or newish plow I'm highly likely to get a poly one rather than steel.

The old small manual plow I build from a cheap small truck plow ran off with my old L3200. so now I'm debating between reviving that old beater plow & looking for a new beefier hydraulically angled SSQA plow for my new L4060. I had the A frame on my old plow attached to a 3pt quick hitch welded to a SSQA plate. I ran a chain from the toplink on the QH to the plow to get float. Personally I find that method WAY better than floating the loader. I deal with a lot of freeze/thaw cycles here in Colorado, so I'm often plowing on not frozen gravel. Keeping the blade light is a necisity. The only problem with my old setup, other than the manual angle was the plow stuck out a ways. I didn't have to much problem with sideways push, but it was kind of awkward. 4shorts & others have built skids for the back of the plow frame & leave the loader in float.

IMG_20150117_153836.jpgIMG_20150117_153824.jpg

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #5  
   / SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking
Thanks everyone - please keep the information comming

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #7  
I have an HLA 2000 blade that is new to me this season. Very well built. I have only used it one this year, but it was real smooth to operate and will significantly reduce my plowing time.

/ SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #8  
   / SSQA snow blade - What are folks liking #9  
I have a HLA2000 up front and a LP3584 on the rear, it's neat as I can go either way.
DevilDogIMG_2492.jpgIMG_2491.jpg