Starter swap for a MT 372 D ?

/ Starter swap for a MT 372 D ? #1  

GeeVee

Bronze Member
Tractor
MT 372 D, ASV RC30
While my Starter/Alternator guy says this stock starter is plenty big enough to spin this little 2 cylinder over with plenty of torque/speed, I worry about the little plastic gear cups, and might want to look into a swap. In reading other threads on Mits/Satoh forum here, I hear talk of a Dodge Colt starter.

I have the 2 cylinder diesel KE 70 engine.

Thanks

GV

/ Starter swap for a MT 372 D ? #2  
I got a complete new starter from a local starter repair shop for my Mitsubishi D2350. It had no plastic parts. You can also check in with Valley Power

/ Starter swap for a MT 372 D ?
I got a complete new starter from a local starter repair shop for my Mitsubishi D2350. It had no plastic parts. You can also check in with Valley Power

Yeah, sadly, He retired and sold his building and land- he deserved it. I do have two new gear cups for the future, but I don't have a good shop that will help me search it out AND be able to tell me its all metal.

I was just hoping a 372 owner would short cut me to the research I'll have to do myself. Pretty sure I have never asked Bill about a swap to something. I do call him on ocassion and get to buy a small thing from him on occasion, but my machine is pretty durable.

/ Starter swap for a MT 372 D ? #4  
I just went through this. Did you get one? I found them on Amazon for around $150. I did get a starter for a 78-80 colt. I THOUGHT, it looked close and it did, buuuut it had threaded holes in the flange, No biggee I thought, drilled them and and no room for nut and washer. Thought about it and thought I can just replace the nose. outside of motor was smaller on the new one. LOL, I ended up using a burr and clearance the nose for the nuts/washers. Put it on and it starts fine. Just an FYI if anyone else is trying to get one. I think the one from Rock auto is about 30.
I got one from Oreilly for a little more.