Starter teeth worn, ring gear teeth worn?

/ Starter teeth worn, ring gear teeth worn? #1  

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
I know this wear is extreamly dependent on many factors . Any one replace a starter/ring gear due to starter grinding? At how many hours did this happen? My starter gear is prob half worn and half the ring gear is worn and real bad in the spots it normaly stops.

Back story: got had on a tractor i just bought. Guy said it had 1440 hrs. As it turns out the hour meter ist working and im thinking its more like 2440 or 3440hrs.

I keep finding issues. Needs steering box, hyd oil flush, starter grinds like crazy once i got it home. Found a leaking injector that it looks like he covered in black epoxy. Leaking front axle. But its a suprisingly tight machine and has the same engine as my kh41 kubota excavator. My excavator has 1700hrs on a working hour meter with 4 digits with no starter grinding or injector leaks.

Pic is after i cleaned up the starter gear a bit. I did end up tig welding the teeth back on and grinding to a proper profile. It starts and dosnt grind now.

So is it 2440, 3440, 4440 or 5440hrs?

Attachments

• 20190926_173125.jpg
    20190926_173125.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 355
   / Starter teeth worn, ring gear teeth worn? #2  
Replace the starter first, I ran into the same problem on a boat motor (inboard/outboard). The ring gear is generally harder than the starter gear so the starter gear wears out 1st. Not to mention you'll likely need to split the tractor to get to the ring gear to replace it. Sounds like a case of neglect or backyard mechanic handy work. I passed on a tractor that was cobbled together even though it was a good deal I would have been putting in another $2000-$3000 to fix the cob-job repairs.

/ Starter teeth worn, ring gear teeth worn? #3  
Could the starter have been engaged while the engine was running, multiple times?

/ Starter teeth worn, ring gear teeth worn?
The ring gear was mostly worn in the 3 spots where the engine stops but its a possibility. I did lube up its sticky key switch a bit. Also lubed the starter gear shaft and solinoid.