Starting Issue

/ Starting Issue #1  

MSQ3141

Tractor
John Deer 2305
New to this :). Hope I am on the right "sized" forum. My apologizes If I'm not. Here is my problem. I was having trouble stating my 2305 tractor. I decided to jump started the tractor with my VW Jetta. I hooked up the cables, turned the key, waited the 3 seconds to hear the "click:"of the glow plugs, then started the tractor. I cut the grass then pulled into the garage to let the tractor cool down. After a few hours I tried to start it and nothing, Again I decided to jump start it. Hooked up the cables, got on the tractor and turned the key and nothing. Upon further review I discovered that the cables were hooked up wrong. I disconnected them and decided to get a new battery. I installed the new battery, turned the key...no "click sound" , When I turn the key to start the tractor will start but once i release the key the engine dies. I checked the 40amp fuse and it looks good. Checked fuel filter and it is good. So what is wrong with this. Someone mentioned that it could be the ignition switch. At this stage I am open for all suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

/ Starting Issue #2  
I'd look at all the fuses and relays. Relays are generally what makes the "click" noise heard in such electronics.

Good luck and welcome to TBN!

/ Starting Issue #3  
Check and clean all 4 battery cable connections. Then check battery voltage.