Starting Problems

/ Starting Problems #1  

yendis

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1554
I have the Cub Cadet 1554 with the Kohler Courage 27 HP engine. I,m tired of spending money on starting repairs, been in the shop0 three times. When the key is turned to the start position with the pedal depressed all the way all I get is a single click coming from under the cowl and then nothing. I'm on my third starter and really getting frustrated. Grass is six inches high. Besides the starter what could my problem be.

/ Starting Problems #2  
Bad ground to frame connection.

Or corroded wires.

/ Starting Problems #3  
Consider a low voltage relay kit. ---- This is what happens when you turn the key……. Electrical current flows from your ignition switch through your PTO neutral, clutch safety, and all the other safety switches, to the starter solenoid. When all the switches, cables and battery, etc. are new there is very little resistance.
With time and age, resistance builds up and eventually will cause a voltage drop at the starter solenoid. This voltage drop will vary according to temperature, humidity and other factors. That’s why some times it'll work fine and other times it won’t. The starter solenoid needs approx. 9 volts to fully engage, anything less and it won’t fully make contact to send current to run the starter motor. Yes it will click, but it needs just a little more power to fully seat on the contacts and allow the starter motor to run. Instead of replacing all the components in the system to reduce the voltage drop, what you need to do is install a low voltage starter relay. Several companies have come up with a pre-wired relay kit with instructions, John Deere, Scag, and others, have them available. The low voltage relay kit will work with as low as 4 volts.
Stop by your local John Deere dealer and get JD kit part #AM107421, it’s easy to install, It's pre-wired, comes with instructions, and it's around 25-30 bucks. Mount the relay and change a few wires... The instructions that come with the kit and are easy to follow – a 15 minute job. The Parts man at a JD dealership told me about these kits years ago when I thought I needed a solenoid, he said it’s a common problem, and saved me a bunch of money. I have solved this “sometimes it just clicks” problem several times on different brands of machines with this kit.

/ Starting Problems #4  
Thanks you have just solved my other problem which is intermittent and frustrating!!!!
Maybe my two problems are related Do you think a new battery is in order
Cheers Howard

/ Starting Problems #5  
I acquired a 90's JD rider that hadn't been run in a while and with a newer battery that I installed the voltage to the solenoid was +/- 10 volts and most of the time it just clicked but sometimes it would crank. After some futile testing(little circuit bd on ign sw) I gave up and put a starter button on it and solved the problem. Hot wire from + of battery thru the switch and to solenoid wire. Now I put ign switch on and press button.

/ Starting Problems #6  
" After some futile testing(little circuit bd on ign sw) I gave up and put a starter button on it and solved the problem. Hot wire from + of battery thru the switch and to solenoid wire. Now I put ign switch on and press button."

It seems this problem mostly occurs with Kohler and Kawa. engines. I install a second solenoid to operate, feed, the primary solenoid. Does the same thing as the "hard start" kit.

Walt Conner

/ Starting Problems #7  
Thanks guys...Its morning here and I put the battery on charge overnight.I went to start it this morning and after leaving time for the glow plug light to go off it started perfectly. So I think I need to check voltages at the solenoids.As I don't use the tractor a lot maybe a solar charger would be the answer to keep the battery topped up.
Cheers and thanks again for all the help you have saved me heaps of time
Howard