Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #1  

r8f1k

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall 100, Allis Chalmers D14, International Super MTA, IH 560, Mahindra 4510, Gehl 4500, Clark CY45, JD 800, JD 60
Anyone ever use steam to kill/prevent weeds? Any ideas of how to make or use a boiler to generate enough steam to go up and down rows of apple trees to kill weeds and grass? I was thinking of using something like a household steam boiler, fueling it with propane, pulling it or pushing it with my tractor. I have front and rear PTO's on my Mahindra, so I could use a pump on the front or back to push the steam out onto the rows. Ideas?

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #2  
I tried killing weeds and grass around my inground pool one year using one of those large propane torches that you attach to a 25lb propane canister.

It burned the tops just fine, but not the roots, so everything ultimately grew back.

I’d think you’d have the same results with steam - unless you can kill the roots, it probably won’t be successful in the end.

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #3  
Water takes a surprising amount of energy to convert from liquid to steam. When this steam then condenses it then gives up this energy. So your idea may work to heat the ground enough to kill the roots. I like it. Direct the steam at the ground, not the vegetation. Keep in mind that this same steam will also condense on your flesh and cause terrible and deep burns. If you decide to use steam make sure your steam generator cannot build up enough pressure to burst. You do not want to experience steam burns. Also, because it takes so much energy to make steam you may discover you are using more fuel than you expect.
Eric

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control
I know that steam takes quite a bit to get going.....I was also thinking about using a heated power washer tank. Would something like that be hot enough? I also heard that using steam makes seeds burst like popcorn.

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #5  
Maybe flame directly?

And from above:

Bruce

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #6  
I know that steam takes quite a bit to get going.....I was also thinking about using a heated power washer tank. Would something like that be hot enough? I also heard that using steam makes seeds burst like popcorn.
A diesel fired Steam Jenny would probably have enough recovery capacity to maintain a consistent flow.

Let's just say I want to reconsider and use a flamer. I have access to a large amount of waste oil......not sure how to build that, but I assume pressurized with air and vaporized to create a flame.

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #8  
Let's just say I want to reconsider and use a flamer. I have access to a large amount of waste oil......not sure how to build that, but I assume pressurized with air and vaporized to create a flame.
There are online many web sites that have directions on how to build waste oil burners. I remember looking at several many years ago. YouTube has a bunch of DIY designs. I looked specifically for a weed burner and here is a link for one that comes pretty close:
Good Luck,
Eric

Anyone know if there are ramifications when using flame weeding around young (3-6 year old apple trees)? I assume going too slow around any small tree is going to be a potential issue, but other than that.....?

/ Steam Boiler or Steam Generator for Weed Control #10  
I looked into flame weeding many many years ago specifically for corn fields and weeding in the row between the corn plants. The factors seem to boil down to 1) speed of travel, meaning how long the plant is exposed to the flame 2) the age of the plant, younger plants are more affected by the flame than older plants which affects the travel rate 3) Age of the corn plant vs. the weed. The corn has to be old enough and the weed young enough that the weed is fried and the corn plant survives.