Steering feels funny on L3430 HST

/ Steering feels funny on L3430 HST #1  

Komrade

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST
Dear Forum,

I am not sure how to describe it.. Steering feels like it's not 100% responsive, as if when I turn the wheel it feels catchup here and there, like skipping a tooth.
The steering is not "hard", just isn't smooth anymore.

Any keywords on what I should search this forum for, or any ideas?

Adding links as I find something relevant

Last edited:
   / Steering feels funny on L3430 HST #2  
May have been a 40 or 60 series, but I recall reading about a rubber bushing in the floor plan that can bind up the steering in a seemingly random fashion.

/ Steering feels funny on L3430 HST #3  
I don’t know if your steering is similar to a BX, but it had a seal in the steering cylinder that would leak. You would turn the wheel and nothing would happen then as you turned it faster it would work. I rebuilt the steering cylinder and they sold a kit with all the seals.

/ Steering feels funny on L3430 HST
Hi Forum, the steering is actually getting worse requiring more input from me. At least it feels that way after tractor was sitting for a couple of weeks.. It does feel "grindy"--minor (in duration) intermittend resistance as I turn the wheels.

I put the front of the tractor on the jack, started it up, and don't feel anything in the steering turning wheels.
I did notice a sound that I don't know if natural or not to the tractor as I spin the wheels.. Can anybody comment if it's normal?

Last edited:
   / Steering feels funny on L3430 HST
I believe I did some greasing, and this went away.