Steering trouble !

/ Steering trouble ! #1  

dickr

Tractor
Kioti lb1914
Power steering on my Kioti LB1914 takes many turns of wheel to steer right or left. Dangerous ! It's on blocks now and still does not react when steering wheel is turned completely around, only slightly when motor is running. There are no obvious leaks and plenty of fluid. My thought is the steering valve/motor is worn. I have removed it and figured to replace or rebuild it. After reading some of the suggestions here I'm wondering if I jumped to a conclusion to soon.
Hardly a mechanic or hydraulics guy so I'm looking for advice.
It's a 1997 Kioti, 700+ hrs. with bucket and 3 point. The power steering I believe is an after market because it is front of the front axle and the service manual shows it to be on the steering wheel shaft.
Thanx for your suggestions and help.
dickr

/ Steering trouble ! #2  
Power steering on my Kioti LB1914 takes many turns of wheel to steer right or left. Dangerous ! It's on blocks now and still does not react when steering wheel is turned completely around, only slightly when motor is running. There are no obvious leaks and plenty of fluid. My thought is the steering valve/motor is worn. I have removed it and figured to replace or rebuild it. After reading some of the suggestions here I'm wondering if I jumped to a conclusion to soon.
Hardly a mechanic or hydraulics guy so I'm looking for advice.
It's a 1997 Kioti, 700+ hrs. with bucket and 3 point. The power steering I believe is an after market because it is front of the front axle and the service manual shows it to be on the steering wheel shaft.
Thanx for your suggestions and help.
dickr
I know this is an old post, but I'm having the exact same problem with my LB1914. Everything else is fine, but can't seem to find what is happening here. I can't even find where the fluid reservoir is located. The power steering is almost unmanageable so it has to be fixed. Any help availabe on this?
Thanks,
Darrel

/ Steering trouble ! #3  
If you raise tractor so both front tires are off the ground can you grab a front tire and turn them side to side with minimal effort or are they difficult to turn?

/ Steering trouble ! #4  
The hydraulic steering cylinder has blown its seals, or you blew a hose and all the fluid is gone, I lean towards the seals in the cylinder....

/ Steering trouble ! #5  
That makes a lot of sense as there is no residual oil anywhere that might have caused low oil condition. Very erratic and bad seals just might be the problem. Is this a common problem? Now, anyone know where I can get seals, or maybe a rebuilt cylinder? I'm reasonably proficient with tools, but makes me wonder if this is something I can do myself. The cylinder appears to be very accessible for replacement. Other than the steering the tractor is in relatively good condition, even the paint. 600 hours on the clock. Any words of wisdom? I really need to get this repaired.
Thanks,
Darrel

/ Steering trouble ! #6  
Very erratic and bad seals just might be the problem. Is this a common problem?

Hydraulic seals and piston cups go bad. It’s common enough many businesses exist that rebuild them. It’s not rocket science to rebuild them though

This is the seals to rebuild the lift arms;

However, if they offer it for them, they might offer it for the steering cylinder, assuming it’s not welded…

/ Steering trouble ! #7  
Take the cylinder off, take it to a repair shop and reinstall it and your good to go.
They can get the parts faster than you can, ( its their business) and have you up and running quick.

/ Steering trouble ! #8  
Take the cylinder off, take it to a repair shop and reinstall it and your good to go.
They can get the parts faster than you can, ( its their business) and have you up and running quick.
Thanks, makes a lot of sense if it's for sure the cylinder and not the steering motor. I felt the dealer knew about the problem and hosed me on it and they refused to make it good, so I took it back and got my money refunded, all of it.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Darrel