Steering wheel Ford 1700

/ Steering wheel Ford 1700 #1  

kmudpup

Looking for a replacement for my Ford 1700 steering wheel. Boy..this model is sure hard to find parts for compared to all the old tractors. Anyone have a clue besides the salvage places for standard parts like grilles, etc?

Thanks!

/ Steering wheel Ford 1700 #2  
Looking for a replacement for my Ford 1700 steering wheel. Boy..this model is sure hard to find parts for compared to all the old tractors. Anyone have a clue besides the salvage places for standard parts like grilles, etc?

Thanks!

Obviously it is an old tractor series and salvage opportunity is minimal since most of them are still operational and not many of them are roasting under the sun in salvage yards. what is wrong with the steering wheel ? can it not be fixed?

JC,

/ Steering wheel Ford 1700
Old steering wheel has a crack on one of the hubs. I could probably epoxy this back together but thought it would be nicer (as I restore this further) to simply put a new one in its place. But, as you know, finding this isn't easy. I've seen replacement wheels for every tractor but this. The only one I've found is an original one and it's very expensive.

Any idea if any of the other ones are interchangeable with the 1700 wheel?

/ Steering wheel Ford 1700 #4  
Yeah, I'm resurrecting this very old thread. Anyone found anything for a replacement steering wheel? I had seen them on Ebay previously so mistakenly figured I'd buy one when needed. No such luck at this time. Mine has fractured the metal reinforcement, so I figure the remaining ones will be over-stressed and fail in the near future, given I don't have power steering. Messicks says it's available for $221 plus shipping so will go that route if nothing else available. I had thought of repair using one of the 'mix and pour' plastic kits which I use on my motorcycle fairings, but this is a very highly stressed location for such a repair to work now that the reinforcing steel has snapped.

I will infer the obvious- the Japanese used a different shaft diameter/spline count making this difficult to retrofit with another Ford steering wheel. Correct?

IMG_0057.JPG

/ Steering wheel Ford 1700 #5  
I suppose you could go to a salvage yard and get a shaft from a common tractor and weld on your shaft then wheels would be available. Probably not cost effective. Just a way out if nothing was available.