Steering wheel spins freely - normal? or problematic?

/ Steering wheel spins freely - normal? or problematic? #1  

JDGreenThumb

Tractor
JD 755 Utility
Hello all,
Have a 755 JD sitting in barn of recently purchased home/property. Planning to move it into shop to begin working on it soon. Tinkering with it the other day found that the steering wheel spins freely. Haven't started it yet, still need to get a battery for it...plan to do that this weekend. Is it normal for steering wheel to spin freely when engine not running or is this a problem that will need to be addressed? Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

/ Steering wheel spins freely - normal? or problematic? #4  
Actually that is normal. If they haven’t run for a long time they lose pressure and fluid in the hydraulic steering valve. When it runs it should build up pressure and work normally. Very common.

/ Steering wheel spins freely - normal? or problematic? #5  
If it is worn, it will still work; my forklift has that issue, it will still turn fine but has a tendency to want to groundloop while going forward at speed. Just need to stay on top of it, with a hand instead of feet.
I've got a .pdf repair manual with diagrams, need to research what type of seal kits are available for these.

/ Steering wheel spins freely - normal? or problematic? #6  
Actually that is normal. If they haven’t run for a long time they lose pressure and fluid in the hydraulic steering valve. When it runs it should build up pressure and work normally. Very common.
Thanks a lot loading my jd332 up while ago and dealt with that