Steiner 420 Ignition arcing to motor.

/ Steiner 420 Ignition arcing to motor. #1  

Ne Ohio 420 Steiner

Tractor
Steiner 420
My 420 (Linamar LX790) runs OK with a few pops and sputters. When running I can see sparks all around the engine covers. I am assuming this is a secondary coil voltage leak. I have replaced Coil, condenser, and plugs. I found some worn spots on the spark plug wires, so I wrapped them in rubber tape. I have checked the wires to the ignition control module as much as I can see, and can move the wires, so the are not pinched at least near the coil. Have not yet pulled shroud or flywheel. Could the primary coil create enough voltage to spark like that? Should I check the ignition control module next? Any Ideas or help would be appreciated.

/ Steiner 420 Ignition arcing to motor. #2  
Replace the plug wires. If you have worn spots. you've got cracks & hard boots as well. A new set of wires should fix the arcing. If you want to test, mist them with a spray bottle of water & it'll look like 4th of July.

/ Steiner 420 Ignition arcing to motor. #3  
A thorough cleaning may help, too. Sometimes you'll build up a carbon trail which acts as a conductor for leaky voltage. As far as your rubber tape goes you may not get much help there. Tape is generally rated for 600 volts, your ignition voltage is much higher than that. As Alex suggested, replace the wires and boots then try to pin down exactly where you see arcing.