Steiner 430 MAX Diesel. Shreaded Main Engine to PTO BELT

/ Steiner 430 MAX Diesel. Shreaded Main Engine to PTO BELT #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
I was mowing last weekend with a 60 inch rear discharge mower and started to notice an oscillation of some sort up front. The spring on the mower was jumping (I never bother putting on the belt cover) and I suspected mower belt tension, so I tightened it up a bit.

Returned to mowing with the same oscillation, and then this stuff started flying everwhere. Turns out the main engine to PTO belt was disintegrating.

I have only changed one in about ten years of use. It doesn't get heavy use. I had an old one that I put on and checked everything as I was sure it must be rubbing on something, Nothing! The new belt worked fine.

Any ideas? I saw a Youtube Video about t a guy that claims he goes through two belts a year on his Gas/Kohler 430MAX and he suspects exhaust heat, and such the video was about building a heat sheild.

I find that hard to believe.

These belts are pretty heavy and of Kevlar. What causes them to look like they have been physically damaged and come apart?

/ Steiner 430 MAX Diesel. Shreaded Main Engine to PTO BELT #2  
My SIL and I mow with two different Woods RFMs,,

We both have to be careful, mow too tall of grass,, or overload the mower in some other way,,
the belt will shred,,

My SIL usually goes through 2-3 belts per season, but, he likes to mow fast,,
I mow slower, and only destroyed one belt in 4 seasons,,

There simply is no safety to stop the belt from overloading on our mowers, no slip clutch, etc,,

The belt is the "fuse",,,

/ Steiner 430 MAX Diesel. Shreaded Main Engine to PTO BELT
That was a thought. My main mower was out of service and he grass was growning like crazy, so I did mow a lot of heavy grass a few weeks ago.

The broken belt looks so new as if it was damaged, not failed through heat. The old belt I used looks old and worn but has no damage.

Come to think of it, the last belt I broke was doing a heavily overgrown property. Maybe the simplest answer is the answer.

Cutting four foot grass, first time this year on a canal bank with a 60" rear discharge mower. It was my old belt, but it too got shreaded! It seems to happen only when in difficult conditions.

$30.00 bucks plus tax Canadian for Belt from Steiner Dealer.

/ Steiner 430 MAX Diesel. Shreaded Main Engine to PTO BELT #5  
Belts get old (like me) and fall apart when heavily loaded (like me again).... I'd say your belt was way past it's prime....:D

Thanks. I kind of figured it was a Kevlar belt but apparently not. What do want for thirty bucks Canadian?

Seems when they work and get hot, they just go to pieces.

Had some time to kill so went into a very service oriented (a Canadian Rarity) power equipment/auto place and asked about a belt. Regular belt from them is close to the $30.00 Steiner one and I can get a Raco Kevlar for fifty something, so I ordered one. They say, anytime a belt has an idler on the back side of a belt, you should have a kevlar belt.

/ Steiner 430 MAX Diesel. Shreaded Main Engine to PTO BELT #8  
Ventrack lists belts by standard industrial designations, like B45 etc. That way you can buy them locally or online way less expensive for great belts.

prs

Wel god news and bad news. The auto/industrial place ordered me a Kevlar Belt, that was supposed to be the right size for main PTO application on ANY 430 MAX. My neighbor picked it up and paid the $65.00 cdn which was awful nice of him, and wouldn't take payment. BUT, the belt doesn't fit. They looked up the information so I don't feel responsible. I have been through this trying to source Steiner belts before. I will go to Steiner, get a belt and take it to the other place and say, here, this is what I need.