Sticking Weight Transfer Mechanism

/ Sticking Weight Transfer Mechanism #1  

prs

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 650, Ventrac 4500Z AJ02248
I have had episodes of this in past and often in recent times. Typically with the transfer in use, it does not release easily or at all. With the setting handle raised out of the notches on the side of the tractor and the tractor driven, it eventually snaps free. I had the dealer check this a few years ago and he said he adjusted it a bit and it worked better for a short time, but became stubborn again.

Recently the problem has been worse and I got down on the floor and inspected. VOILA! I saw the problem; the edges of the engagement notches on the heavy steel bar of the lift arms where the spring attaches had large burred semi-cicle ridges worn onto it. The thick steel is mild and had deformed under eavy use. With the assist in its relaxed state I lowered the lift arms fully and used a flap disk to remove the burs on the outer flat edge of the notched bar. Not enough room on the inside to use the flap disk, so I used a large bast mill file to smooth that side like new. I applied a coat of white lithium grease to the notches and engagement pin of the spring rod. Works like new again. It may wear again since I use the heavier implements.

Rooster

/ Sticking Weight Transfer Mechanism #2  
When i had trouble with it sticking it was the huge flat washers they had in there.... jim

/ Sticking Weight Transfer Mechanism
The fender washers seemed to be OK on mine, the edges of the clevis were snagging and binding on those ridges. I will keep an eye on both over time and use.

/ Sticking Weight Transfer Mechanism #4  
I have no idea why they have them in there but they were all bent up and i removed them and it works perfect since...... jim