stihl 017 carb adjustment

/ stihl 017 carb adjustment #1  

rilesdav

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 6530c and Kubota BX25D
Hello All,
I am having difficulty dialing in the carb on an old, given to me stihl 017. I started tinkering with it when the saw would stall out. Per info in the manual i have adjusted the "L" screw until the chain start to run without throttle then back off just a tiny bit. Problem now is when I pull the throttle the saw boggs down and stalls. Can anyone explain the difference in function of the 2 carb adjustments and how to perhaps get my saw running better. Have already replaced air filter and spark plug. On the way is a new fuel filter and fuel line just in case they are clogged.
Thanks
Dave

/ stihl 017 carb adjustment #2  
Hello All,
I am having difficulty dialing in the carb on an old, given to me stihl 017. I started tinkering with it when the saw would stall out. Per info in the manual i have adjusted the "L" screw until the chain start to run without throttle then back off just a tiny bit. Problem now is when I pull the throttle the saw boggs down and stalls. Can anyone explain the difference in function of the 2 carb adjustments and how to perhaps get my saw running better. Have already replaced air filter and spark plug. On the way is a new fuel filter and fuel line just in case they are clogged.
Thanks
Dave

Dave, The "L" screw is for idle and throttle response. The H screw adjusts for wide open rpms. (I could swear these saws only had an "L" adjustment however) A clue to a clog as well as an air leak is to pull the choke out a bit and see if it runs better. If it does you have either or both. Depending on how old or I should say how hard the saw was used could also bring compression aspects to bear but I doubt that is your problem. Do the simple things first such as fuel line and gas filter. If that does not clear it up, you have a carb problem. It will need a rebuild or new carb.

/ stihl 017 carb adjustment
Hey Arrow,
Thanks for the response. I will do the easy things first as you indicate. The 2 adjustments from the manual are "L" and "LA". I assume the "H" you refer to is the "LA"?
Thanks
Dave

/ stihl 017 carb adjustment #4  
Hey Arrow,
Thanks for the response. I will do the easy things first as you indicate. The 2 adjustments from the manual are "L" and "LA". I assume the "H" you refer to is the "LA"?
Thanks
Dave

You're welcome Dave. The LA screw is for rpms at idle. If I recall, these smaller Stihls had no "H" as it was permanently set at the factory. The "L" screw sets throttle response off idle. If this screw is set too rich, the engine will blubber and conk out when throttled up. If set too lean at throttle, it will scream or rev too high and then conk out.

/ stihl 017 carb adjustment
Great,
Got it. Off to the garage to play,
Thanks again
Dave