Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video
You are correct in my view on your thinking regarding about raker height , and angle . It is a trade off when it comes to sharpening i feel , 1) more aggressive = faster cut but possible shorter life span between sharpening or 2) Factory angle and height = slower cut but longer life span between sharpening .

In my other thread here on Full skip , ( I use to run those over 30 years ago after high school working in the woods ) , I recently bought another chain for my 441 , all the dealer had though in my gauge was the full skip , so I said WTH , Why Not . Yes , there is a higher kickback risk , but even cutting in Madrone , a hardwood like oak here in the northwest , It rocks :thumbsup: . If I can figure out how to shoot a video with my wife's camera , I still have a log pile of tree's next to driveway , with several over 18" - 20" in diameter , that it cuts through like there is no tomorrow .

My point there though is , that running full skip = half the number of teeth , Faster cut BUT 1 , just 1 slip up by nicking a rock or other hard surface and chain goes from cutting extremely fast to not cutting worth a SH** in a heart beat .

Fred H.

I have been thinking about taking the rakers down but I have not done anything to them yet. I read on another forum that the guys that race chainsaws run theirs at .027'' so they will have a faster chain speed. I was thinking about trying to learn how to square file but I read some conflicting information on it. I don't think anybody here stocks full skip chain.

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #12  
Roger,
I have a MS660 dual ported and it just screams power and torque. Right now in running a 3/8 full chisel 50 gauge Stihl chain. When i put the chain on new it didnt cut as i wanted so i reground it and lowered the rakers to.032. At the time i was cutting 42" dry red oak and what a difference. A cut in that 42" oak was about 12 seconds and really horsing on the saw you couldn't pull it down. Ide play with the chain myself. I respect STIHL but i don't always play their #'s when grinding our chains. I'm going to start "square grinding" my chains, its a lot harder to do but they tell me the cut is a lot faster. I really don't know yet . . .. John

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video
Roger,
I have a MS660 dual ported and it just screams power and torque. Right now in running a 3/8 full chisel 50 gauge Stihl chain. When i put the chain on new it didnt cut as i wanted so i reground it and lowered the rakers to.032. At the time i was cutting 42" dry red oak and what a difference. A cut in that 42" oak was about 12 seconds and really horsing on the saw you couldn't pull it down. Ide play with the chain myself. I respect STIHL but i don't always play their #'s when grinding our chains. I'm going to start "square grinding" my chains, its a lot harder to do but they tell me the cut is a lot faster. I really don't know yet . . .. John

You are running your rakers at .032 or .023? I think the wood in the video may have been frozen. We had some pretty cold weather a few day before I made the video. I have not had a chance to mess with the chains any but I am going to.

Here is some good info on square filling.Square Ground Chisel Angles I have heard a good chain will gain you 30%. I have heard the guys in the Pacific Northwest square file their chains but I have heard they dull extremely easily, most guys carry extra chains with them.

I just found this on race chains. http://www.madsens1.com/PDF/RacingTechfacts_93099.pdf