Still another log splitter project

/ Still another log splitter project #1  

joecoin

Gold Member
Tractor
Steiner 420 / Grillo 107d
I was given an old splitter without a trailer. I'd say it weighs about 700 pounds. I want to mount it on a low trailer that will never be road towed. Harbor Freight has a trailer for $189.00 that would work, but I am also seeing Steel Mesh Deck Wagons that are sold (for $80) with the promise of "Haul up to 1000 lb. with this deck wagon cart". So, what could possibly go wrong if I mount my splitter onto one of these deck wagons?

/ Still another log splitter project #2  
Just put a straight axle under it and a hitch on the end of the beam. with 15 inch tires my splitter is low to the ground and handles highway speeds if loaned out. What else are you gaining by using the wagon?

/ Still another log splitter project
Just put a straight axle under it and a hitch on the end of the beam. with 15 inch tires my splitter is low to the ground and handles highway speeds if loaned out. What else are you gaining by using the wagon?

I don't have a straight axle or wheels and tires. The cost of those items is well over the $80 for the wagon. Plus, the wagon gives me four wheels so I don't have to mess with a trailer jack.

/ Still another log splitter project #4  
Plus 4 new tires after about 1mo.

/ Still another log splitter project #6  
No the ideal is just fine,but the tires are not. I bet they don't have 1 oz. of rubber in them.

/ Still another log splitter project #7  
The 4-wheel cart may work but I would be very worried with the narrow wheel base. A small dip in the ground when turning could cause it to tip over.

/ Still another log splitter project #8  
My wife uses one of those wagons for her clothes baskets. I say "no way" for a wood splitter. I mean it too!