Still Looking and still confused.

/ Still Looking and still confused. #1  

sanmigmike

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST
Stopped by the Case, M-F dealer today and got a few prices. Talked to Deere and N-H dealer yesterday. Walked out of the Deere dealer yesterday just about ready to buy a 790 but wanted to look at a 990. The 790 seemed like a lot of tractor for the money, he was talking about 14,500 for a new one with a loader. The N-H dealer tried to sell us a Ford, about 28 hp, loader, deck mower, not sure how old, 300 hours, very weathered, a few switches missing...... abused? for about 10,500 with a six month warranty. Not sure what he said for a new one soo will not go there for now. 16,500 came up but don't think that was HST and not sure the hp, was supposed to be the new model of the old one.

Stopped by the Case dealer and he had a 3 year old DX-40 about 1500 hours and looked great. A new Case FEL and new r-4 tires for 17,490....but no warranty. A DX-29, not sure of the time about two years old with a new loader 12,560. New with FEL DX-29 19,900, a DX-33 20,664 and a new M-F 1433v for 16,999. So far as I know the dealer Ag West has a good local rep.

I like the DX-40 even thought it is a little bit more tractor than I wanted. But better a little big than small. Like the weight over the 790. It doesn't seem to be too much for my needs. The numbers for the loader and the three point seem to be a lot better than the 790. It is bigger than a DX-29 but not too much bigger.

What Deere should I look at as a more direct comparison to the DX's and is there much of a price difference between the N-H and Case? Will try to look at Centurion and Kubota next week.

My wife's comments are........."I like red. The people seem nice. I like the idea of HST." Much to my surprise she seems worried about using a gear trractor since she likes manual transmission cars.

If we go for the DX-40 should we bargain for what ever service might be required. Any other thoughts? Pricing? What should we be looking for on a used tractor? And..

Merry Christmas to all! Or Seasons Greetings!

/ Still Looking and still confused. #2  
Sanmigmike, You should check out Branson or Century, if you want a lot of value for the money. I dreamed of nothing but green....or orange for years...but I ended up with a Branson. It is the color you want....Red. My dealer sold 3 the same week I bought mine and their sales are really taking off . You owe it to yourself to at least check these out before you decide.

pete

/ Still Looking and still confused. #3  
My new DX33 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The prices you were quoted seemed high to me. Mine is $14,400 for the DX,no attachments.

/ Still Looking and still confused. #4  
Hi Mike. As advice on this sight earlier said, get prices, prices, prices. I told my dealers that I am a buyer, whether they believed it or not, that I'm looking for the right deal and the right price. I told them what manfs. I was looking at and comparing prices and units. Different makes/ quality/ etc. Realistically, it comes down, for me, to: quality/ longevity of service and price, price, price. I will probably do most of all my service and after warranty, all major work, so I wont be dependant on a mechanic. For me, this is a very large purchase and I finally decided on a Branson 3520 fel with 7620 hoe. In my opinion, this tractor should last me many years with proper maintenance and care. I shopped "orange" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, "red" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, "red" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, "red" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, "green" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, "blue" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and for the difference of thousands of $$$$$, the dealers, in my opinion could not justify the difference in price. Unfortunately, buying new only PRESENTS a sense of "false" security because new units are expected to last, verses buying used with no guaranty's. Its all a gamble and some gambles are clearly better than others---do your homework and decide for yourself, since you'll have to live with it. Finally, ask lots of questions and be satisfied with your dealer and location, since its always nice to have a safety net /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif (the dealership) under you. Im glad to be through it and done with it. Merry Christmas .

/ Still Looking and still confused. #5  
I agree you have no one to please but yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Look at lots of different makes and models. There may even be a large difference in price for the same make and model from dealer to dealer. Make a list of the features that you like and dislike. Then compare each tractor that you have seen to those features and it will help you to make your final choice.

Each member here has his own set of preferences and so should you. Good luck in your choice.

/ Still Looking and still confused. #6  
I am curious what you are going to use the tractor for?

You have looked at all different sizes and ages with different capabilities and different potential strong and weak points depending on what you are planning on doing.

Rather than focusing on money or hp or age or size, I think you might want to indicate WHAT will be DESIRED and REQUIRED of the tractor before you look at the different models. I think you will then be able to make a decision based on what you need to do and want to do. Buying a big tractor is great until you find you can't get it into the spots you need to work. Small tractors offer a lot of power for their size, but if they are not big enough then you spend more time doing the same job that is quicker with the bigger machines. Old tractors are a bargain if they are reliable, new tractors give you a 2 or 3 year warrenty.

/ Still Looking and still confused. #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My wife's comments are........."I like red. The people seem nice. I like the idea of HST." Much to my surprise she seems worried about using a gear trractor since she likes manual transmission cars.
)</font>

My wife uses our tractor all the time. We are so thrilled with the hydro. It is so easy to be a pro with it. After a little use you realize that it isn't the same comparison as an auto tranny vs. a stick on a car.

With my wife on it, actually using it in our hills and trees, I was very interested in up to date and funcioning safety features. Heck, I need em worse than she does... (she got her first tractor when she was 2)
Take some extra time shecking out the safety, and ergonomics. Make sure all users are comfortable with the fit.

And have FUN!!! We spenf MORE time together now that we have HER tractor...