Strange JD2320 electrical problem

/ Strange JD2320 electrical problem #1  

mx125

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2320
Tractor running fine. After approx 2 hours i shut off and got no crank on restart. No lights either . .just a weak whine behind the instrument panel. Thought maybe alternator died and somehow battery drained (but how with no lights running??). Tried boosting from truck . . got lights but weak crank. Two hours later tried again with jump . .still weak crank but started. Once running, glow plug light stays on at high rpm and all three dash lights flicker at low rpm. I hear the glow plug click on and then off after 3 seconds when i turn ignition on so seeems to be a mysteery light only. Also get no headlights or flashers. Without boost i get absolutely nothing.

So . . thought perhaps bad ground . .or loose battery terminals. However with truck clipped to the battery cables issue still present.

Grond wire from batt looks and feels solid. How do I check that? Or . . is it possibly a relay that can be partially overcome when I attach the second battery? Or is it a myterious computer controller that I can't trace?

I should mention that I don't know how to actually test a relay!

Thanks in advance. Dealer can only suggest weak battery connection . . and would prefer I trailer it an hour into their shop.

/ Strange JD2320 electrical problem #2  
Sure sounds like a bad battery connection or cable to me. Just trace both cables, remove what they are connected to, wire brush the connections, and reassemble and see where you are. You will probably need to charge the battery if the connection has corrosion or rust on it because it wouldn't have been charged correctly by the alternator.