surging tractor

/ surging tractor #1  

LAZY BURT

Tractor
JOHN DEERE
i have a 7320 john deere tractor that surges intermitingly the fuel symbol flashes along with the caution light. then when i shut it of and start it up again it will quit a lot of times

/ surging tractor #2  
Fuel restriction somewhere probably.

When it happens, take off the fuel tank cap and see what happens; vent may be clogged.

Check the fuel filter to make sure it’s clean.

Those are the two simple things I’d check first.

/ surging tractor #3  
Could also be water in the sediment bowl. Does your machine have a water sensor in the fuel bowl?

/ surging tractor #4  
Are there any other error codes or just the fuel symbol and warning light?

Reason for asking is the 9530 I run for neighbor had error code last fall for fuel filters. Tractor wasn’t running rough but curious if had “early” warning to prevent problems.

/ surging tractor #5  
Not sure if yours has one or not but many of the JD tractors will have a filter/screen inside the tank on the outgoing or suction side and they are known for getting gummed up or a little algae in the tank will partially block it.

/ surging tractor
no it doesnt have anymore error codes.

/ surging tractor #7  
Not sure if yours has one or not but many of the JD tractors will have a filter/screen inside the tank on the outgoing or suction side and they are known for getting gummed up or a little algae in the tank will partially block it.
I just dealt with a surging problem on our 310 John Deere. Not sure what fixed it, but replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and all the rubber compression gaskets that JD uses on their connections to filter & fuel pump.
While I was doing this I had to disconnect the hose from the fuel tank and I got to wondering about that pickup filter down in the tank. I brought out a portable air tank, set it to 10 psi, and back flushed the fuel suction line with air. Looking in the fuel filler with a flashlight, I could see fuel bubbled vigourously with air, so I figured the pickup screen was now clean. Doing that doesn't get rid of any crud, but it is a good way to test for a plugged pickup, and should last for awhile.
rScotty

/ surging tractor #8  
I just dealt with a surging problem on our 310 John Deere. Not sure what fixed it, but replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and all the rubber compression gaskets that JD uses on their connections to filter & fuel pump.
While I was doing this I had to disconnect the hose from the fuel tank and I got to wondering about that pickup filter down in the tank. I brought out a portable air tank, set it to 10 psi, and back flushed the fuel suction line with air. Looking in the fuel filler with a flashlight, I could see fuel bubbled vigourously with air, so I figured the pickup screen was now clean. Doing that doesn't get rid of any crud, but it is a good way to test for a plugged pickup, and should last for awhile.
rScotty
When I had trouble after I changed the fuel filter and drained the tank and cleaned that filter/screen in the tank I was at a loss, so I got to tracing fuel lines and found a hidden inline filter going from the fuel cooler to the injector pump, replaced it and that was it. The OP hasn't responded other than saying he didn't have anymore error codes, so maybe he found it.A friend of mine had a Case tractor that he was having problems with and we did what you did and it ran like a top for a few weeks before it started acting up again, then we dropped the tank and cleaned it and he was back in business.