Surging under load.

/ Surging under load. #1  

851Roger

Tractor
851 power master
My tractor is a Ford 851 powermaster. It does fine without a load. But when i attach a disc or tiller, then put it to work, it starts surging. I have tried adjusting the governor linkage both directions and it does not seem to help. I'm trying to run a tiller and it will not do it because it surges so bad that sometimes dies.

Last edited:
   / Surging under load. #2  
What tractor are we talking about?

/ Surging under load.
Ford, 851 power master

/ Surging under load. #5  
Sounds like your spring that connects the governor to the rod is weak. They can be a PIA to get adjusted right once you have replace it.

BUT

Now I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your Ford 851 is not going to run a tiller, the ground speed is to fast. To use a tiller the 851 would need to be equipped with the SOS transmission or a Howard aux transmission that was only made for 4 speed transmissions not the 5 speed your 851 has.

Attempting to use a tiller is probably what is causing the tractor to surge and there is nothing wrong with the governor. Use a plow and disk on it (what it was made for) or a tiller with it's own engine.
Gov.jpg

Last edited:
   / Surging under load.
Well, I've used a 6 foot tiller for years now, the tractor is a little fast on speed, but I'm tilling deep and seems to do alright.
Thanks for your reply.

/ Surging under load.
Ok, problem solved. I rebuilt the carburetor, and now all works great...