Oil & Fuel Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #1  

567Chief

Tractor
Ford 2000 (1965) Ford 801 Power Master (1958) Farmall Super-A (1949) 1740M
As I approach 50 hours on my new tractor, I’m looking into what oil to use. I’d like to go with full synthetic (CJ-4) and the book calls for 5w 30 based on the temperatures I will operate in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Also, the book doesn’t recommend changing the hydraulic fluid at the initial 50 hour service. I’m inclined to go ahead and change that at 50 hours as well. Any suggestions on a synthetic hydraulic fluid would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #2  
I used Rotella T6 for my 50 hr service on my 1736 with no problems. The engine sounds a lot quieter with T6. I have used it on 2 more oil changes and like how better it runs (smooth idle)
For the transmission I use Permatran III. I will try Kubotas synthetic transmission fluid next time due to permatran III being so hard to find.

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #3  
As I approach 50 hours on my new tractor, I知 looking into what oil to use. I壇 like to go with full synthetic (CJ-4) and the book calls for 5w 30 based on the temperatures I will operate in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Also, the book doesn稚 recommend changing the hydraulic fluid at the initial 50 hour service. I知 inclined to go ahead and change that at 50 hours as well. Any suggestions on a synthetic hydraulic fluid would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi 567 Chief,

In July of 2010 when I did my 50 hour fluid change, my MF manual stated and listed ALL of the types of fluids to be changed out at 50 hours, now a days I don't know.

I wanted the best or close to the best fluids in my $$$$$ investment and decided on full synthetic Amsoil fluids.

Listed below are the fluids I decided on and now the tractor has over 600 hours on it with all of the required fluid change outs using Amsoil:

AMSOIL 3000 SYNTHETIC 5W-30 HEAVY DUTY DIESEL OIL ( 2.7 quarts required for a 2009 GC2410)

AMSOIL SYNTHETIC TRACTOR HYDRAULIC / TRANSMISSION OIL (2.9 gallons required for a 2009 GC2410)

AMSOIL SYNTHETIC GEAR LUBE SAE 80W-90 ( 4.2 quarts required for a 2009 GC2410)

I have used MF and Napa filters (except for the Hyd. Filter only MF available) and it's hard to beat the filter week pricing at Napa.

Hope this helps with your search as there are many great products out there.

KC

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M
I believe I’m sold on Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w 30, based on price and availability. Amsoil is tempting but I believe the commitment to regular maintenance is more important than spending more than what’s necessary.

Still doing some homework on the synthetic hydraulic fluid...

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #5  
I've 5w30 Castrol diesel rated oil for VW TDIs bought from the VW dealership parts store. Got it in both the JD 2025R and Isuzu diesel generator. It's a Group III (hydrotreated) oil.

When I run out of the 5w30 Castrol (bought a bunch with VW $ they gave us), I plan to order M1 0w30 ESP online. It's a full synthetic (Group IV), made from PAO as a feedstock. M1 0w20 is what I use in our 3 gasoline-engine vehicles.

I see no need to go to synthetic hydraulic oil. It is not subject to any kind of contamination. The only slight incentive would be to provide a slightly less viscous oil in cold weather.

Ralph

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #6  
As I approach 50 hours on my new tractor, I’m looking into what oil to use. I’d like to go with full synthetic (CJ-4) and the book calls for 5w 30 based on the temperatures I will operate in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Also, the book doesn’t recommend changing the hydraulic fluid at the initial 50 hour service. I’m inclined to go ahead and change that at 50 hours as well. Any suggestions on a synthetic hydraulic fluid would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Read this thread from last year

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ng-operating/360709-another-1758-issue-3.html

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #7  
I also am liking the Shell t6 full syn. Using the 5-40 in my kubota powered (2.6L) Volvo excavator , 12qt capacity. Going 500hrs between changes (the recommended change interval) absolutely no issues. Sounds as quiet on the 500th HR as the 1st. Best price I've found on it if you search Amazon 55.00 case of 3 gallons delivered to my door

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #8  
Hi 567 Chief,

In July of 2010 when I did my 50 hour fluid change, my MF manual stated and listed ALL of the types of fluids to be changed out at 50 hours, now a days I don't know.

I wanted the best or close to the best fluids in my $$$$$ investment and decided on full synthetic Amsoil fluids.

Listed below are the fluids I decided on and now the tractor has over 600 hours on it with all of the required fluid change outs using Amsoil:

AMSOIL 3000 SYNTHETIC 5W-30 HEAVY DUTY DIESEL OIL ( 2.7 quarts required for a 2009 GC2410)

AMSOIL SYNTHETIC TRACTOR HYDRAULIC / TRANSMISSION OIL (2.9 gallons required for a 2009 GC2410)

AMSOIL SYNTHETIC GEAR LUBE SAE 80W-90 ( 4.2 quarts required for a 2009 GC2410)

I have used MF and Napa filters (except for the Hyd. Filter only MF available) and it's hard to beat the filter week pricing at Napa.

Hope this helps with your search as there are many great products out there.

KC

I also use Amsoil 5-40 oil , but its only down the street some.

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M
Thanks for all of the advice. I believe I’m going at it like KC, Amsoil all the way!

/ Synthetic Oil Suggestion 1740M #10  
Thanks for all of the advice. I believe I’m going at it like KC, Amsoil all the way!

Glad to hear that you made a decision on Amsoil.

My first Amsoil order was purchased through Napa, not cheap and no free shipping.

My second Amsoil order was from a Amsoil dealer in the area, was cheaper and no shipping charges, but I had to wait until he made a order.

Now I just purchase at ( Become an AMSOIL Preferred Customer and Save ) Amsoil.com, with their "Preferred Customer" offer.

Just sign up for a year for $20 and get a 25% discount with free shipping over $100 purchase.

I would have to check my past invoices, but I think it's the cheapest way to purchase Amsoil online like I did.

Maybe some other Amsoil users can offer some more advise.

KC