synthetics and my f450

/ synthetics and my f450 #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
got a question. As many of you know I just got a 99 f450 for my heavy towing. with the 4.88 rears, she will tach 2750 on the interstate.

I am considering going all synthetic on her first service.

ie.. syn engine, ps, and diffy.

any downsides to this?

( ps.. in the prev owners maint records.. look like engine was already on amsoil ).. also notice dthe owner had the trans oil and filter changed often.. like every 6-7k miles. guess when he towed his rv he wanted fresh oil :)

so.. any downsides anyone sees to my plan? I figure it will help a lil witht he higher rpm / severe conditions.. etc?

soundguy

/ synthetics and my f450 #2  
I think it's a good idea, I've been running Royal Purple synthetics in my Dodge 2500's Cummins engine and front & rear differentials for the last 80000 miles with no ill effects. I still run the mopar recommended tranny fluid though because I know certain transmissions need specific fluids.

/ synthetics and my f450
yep.. I was gonna keep factory fluids in the trans .. has a trans cooler and temp gauge too so I can keep an eye on it.

soundguy

/ synthetics and my f450 #4  
Looks like a sound plan from the sound guy :)

/ synthetics and my f450 #5  
That is a good move. I now run 5W-40 Rotella in both tractors and both big bloc gas engines in the motorhome and F700.

/ synthetics and my f450 #6  
Rotella Synthetic 5W40 already in two vehicles plus tractor will be in my Dodge V10 after the 10W30 Valvoline Synthetic is used up.

/ synthetics and my f450 #7  
To support my heavy towing and give me "any" improved mpg, I amsoiled the entire 06 F350 PSD truck when I hit 10K miles.....tranny, diffs, engine, all.
Currently have 54K miles with nary a problem.

/ synthetics and my f450
I hadn't even though about syn tranny oil.

was planning on the diffy, PS and engine.

havn't read anything about syn tranny oil.. any comments guys?

worth it? not worth it? downsides?

soundguy

/ synthetics and my f450 #9  
I've got an F250 6.0 with 170K miles. I change the transmission/tranfer case fluids every 50k miles. Since I have a 6 speed transmission, I don't bother with the synthetic. I use Chevron Delo and try and change the oil every 5K miles. I drive mostly hi-way miles, lightly loaded. I also have a WVO (Veggiestroke) kit in the truck. Dino Fuel Alternatives | Alternative Fuel, Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems, Vegistroke & Bio Diesel

But I make sure I use AMSOIL in the rear differential. Make sure you use the full synthethic 75-140 in the rear. The stuff is expensive, but remember what you are lubricating.

Good luck.

Mrc