T224 won't start

/ T224 won't start #1  

stephenph

Tractor
Tym (Branson) t224
New {1yr under 50 hours) t224. The battery terminal corded off so got a new one. As part of the service I changed the oil. I may have over filled by a quart or so. Had one good crank and it almost started but blew lots of smoke. Drained excess oil. Now when I go to start I get a hard crank sound and then nothing.

/ T224 won't start #2  
I can't see how being one quart over on engine oil could make the tractor not start. I don't think that has anything to do with your "no start" problem.

Did you also change the fuel filter? If so, did you reprime the fuel system after changing the filter?

/ T224 won't start #3  
I'd go back to the battery terminal issue. Is the cable intact or is it corroded under the new terminal? If so I suggest a new cable not just terminal. Remove the cables and clean battery posts and inside the connectors thoroughly. Put back on battery and tighten securely. If you can move them they're not secure. Follow ground cable to the frame. Inspect, clean, and tighten there. Charge the battery.

/ T224 won't start #4  
I'd go back to the battery terminal issue. Is the cable intact or is it corroded under the new terminal? If so I suggest a new cable not just terminal. Remove the cables and clean battery posts and inside the connectors thoroughly. Put back on battery and tighten securely. If you can move them they're not secure. Follow ground cable to the frame. Inspect, clean, and tighten there. Charge the battery.

Agree. I think it goes back to the battery cable. My 70h T474 had the negative battery cable rot right off. It was barely attached, would only crank once then nothing. Put on a new clamp and checked all the negative going back to the ground. A few lose ones. Heat shrunk everything again. Fixed the problem.