T5C Brake drum removal

/ T5C Brake drum removal #1  

mytonka

Tractor
Terramite T5C
Break drum removal
Has anyone replaced the brake drum on a T5C ?? Your advise is most welcome.
The Parts Manual #%*"/#:eek: gives little detailed information on how it is all connected. It looks like you have to remove the 4 bolts from the drive motor flange. Then pull it out.
BUT it also appears there is no set screw on the coupling however there is a keyway on the differential shaft ???? it appears to just be slipped together & bolted up. We tried to pull the drive motor from the coupling with minimal blood loss.(chicks dig scars) The manual shows the drive motor parts 11A-11B-11C- but it is not clear if they are on the end of the motor shaft or...??:mad:
It also appears that the (4) bolts that are on the break drum connect the differentional shaft & to the drum & somehow to the coupling.
The bolts on the drum are impossible to get a 9/16 socket & wrench on. I am consitering grinding the bolt heads off the drum to see if that will work.
I love the little machine but may not be installing the brake.
:Round 1 goes to the machine.

/ T5C Brake drum removal #2  
mytonka Sorry I didn't see your question sooner; by now you've probably solved the problem. I rebuilt mine last year and have forgotten the details, but can say that it's do-able and that a machine without a brake is a constant reminder than it's essential. The guy who sold it to me said that with this type of transmission, it wasn't needed (because his was broken) so I tried to get by without it for a few months. That confirmed how important a feature it really is. Hope you have solved the mystery by now. Wish this was a more timely and helpful reply.

/ T5C Brake drum removal #3  
I have a T5 and a T9. The T5 was built before parking brakes and ROPs. I had the blue plastic drive coupling strip out once while on my steep driveway and found out how fast the machine can run away with no hydraulics. Dropping the buckets finally stopped me. I always wished I had a parking brake to at least slow it down in that situation.

I rebuilt a brake band on a craftsman tractor buy purchasing the brake material from McMaster-Carr and J-B welding it in place. I don't know if this works on the Terramite band though.