Taskmaster, Dongfeng, DF 254,Bulldog, East Wind, Agro Master, Ag Trac ... PTO removal

/ Taskmaster, Dongfeng, DF 254,Bulldog, East Wind, Agro Master, Ag Trac ... PTO removal #1  

lyby

Tractor
Taskmaster 426
Hello forum people, I wrote a Pulitzer worthy, lengthy, witty, entertaining, educational and highly detailed description of my PTO removals woes but all was deleted trying to post it when I had the gall to include a link in my literary masterpiece. Seems I haven't posted enough to include a link? Oh well, guess I'll start over since I'm that desperate and this time I'll leave out a bunch of stuff that I have quite frankly either forgotten or am just too lazy to repeat.

I have a Taskmaster 426 which I bought with one axle removed for the purpose of axle seal (garbage) replacement. Replacement was never completed. It seems that anything needing service in that differential area requires PTO removal as far as I can tell? The problem is I can't get the frickin thing out. Has anyone here ever removed it and please tell me how it is done? I can get it about 1/4 inch out but then the shaft seems to be holding it from coming out. I removed a snap ring on the PTO shaft that runs through the diff case but that doesnt seem to have helped.
Someone else on this forum with a similar Bulldog tractor had PTO removal troubles and apparently was able to finally remove it since they later posted a need for PTO parts. Unfortunately they never informed anyone how they got it removed. I have tried to contact him/her but no reply.

Thanks in advance and I promise to post the solution if I ever find it.

Vince in Mojave

/ Taskmaster, Dongfeng, DF 254,Bulldog, East Wind, Agro Master, Ag Trac ... PTO removal
Promised I'd post how I got the PTO gearbox out. The PTO shaft must be removed. There are two snaprings/ circlips which must be removed in total, one inside the differential case which requires removal of the lift case. The other seen when the PTO output shaft is removed 20160910_105050.jpg20160910_104451.jpg

I needed to make a tool to effectively grab the PTO shaft so I could attach a slide hammer and bang the shaft out. I used a couple pieces of 1 x 1/2 bar stock with holes about 1-5/8" apart with 1/2" bolts to set in the shaft indenture. 20160910_104443.jpg

My first thought was to drill through the shaft and put a bolt through. That ain't happening. That cheap chinese metal was too hard to even put a pip in it. Once the shaft came out I had to make a looooong piano wire set of snap ring grabber thingies to reach in far enough to grab the inset snapring. 20160910_105753.jpg

There is NO extra room available to get the ring out. All the stars and planets must be perfectly aligned to get that ring out. It must have taken me 1/2 hour to finally get it out. It helped to put a crook in the end of my extended piano wire snap ring pliers.
I have not put things back together yet and will post if anything else comes up worth mentioning. There is loose needle bearings that go on the end of the through shaft (pictured below) and I got a feeling it will be a nightmare to put back together however I may get lucky? Now whoever put it together at the factory wasn't so lucky as I found a bent and broken loose needle when I pulled the output shaft. Anytime you remove that output shaft you are going to end up with a pile of loose needle bearings. In the picture you can see the end of the differential gearcase through shaft with damage on the end from a loose needle bearing.20160910_104512.jpg

I have marked the location of the snapring/ circlip on the shaft in the picture also.

Keep in mind all this is just a small bit of the BS you must go through to merely replace the axle seals which is how this all started. Might do another right up when completed. As I have mentioned in the original post the seals are pure crapola.20160910_182619.jpg20160910_182601.jpg

Last edited:
   / Taskmaster, Dongfeng, DF 254,Bulldog, East Wind, Agro Master, Ag Trac ... PTO removal #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Thanks for your informative posting(s). Sorry about the limitation on submitting a link, earlier this year TBN was bombarded with link included SPAM and this has been the solution.

Enjoy the site.

/ Taskmaster, Dongfeng, DF 254,Bulldog, East Wind, Agro Master, Ag Trac ... PTO removal #4  
Hello forum people, I wrote a Pulitzer worthy, lengthy, witty, entertaining, educational and highly detailed description of my PTO removals woes but all was deleted trying to post it when I had the gall to include a link in my literary masterpiece. Seems I haven't posted enough to include a link? Oh well, guess I'll start over since I'm that desperate and this time I'll leave out a bunch of stuff that I have quite frankly either forgotten or am just too lazy to repeat.

I have a Taskmaster 426 which I bought with one axle removed for the purpose of axle seal (garbage) replacement. Replacement was never completed. It seems that anything needing service in that differential area requires PTO removal as far as I can tell? The problem is I can't get the frickin thing out. Has anyone here ever removed it and please tell me how it is done? I can get it about 1/4 inch out but then the shaft seems to be holding it from coming out. I removed a snap ring on the PTO shaft that runs through the diff case but that doesnt seem to have helped.
Someone else on this forum with a similar Bulldog tractor had PTO removal troubles and apparently was able to finally remove it since they later posted a need for PTO parts. Unfortunately they never informed anyone how they got it removed. I have tried to contact him/her but no reply.

Thanks in advance and I promise to post the solution if I ever find it.

Vince in Mojave
I know this is an old post but I also have a taskmaster 426. All is well with It except I do not have a lever or as far as I can see a place for one to shift the PTO in or out of gear. I have the lever in the back to change pto speeds 500 or 1000 plus neutral. A photo of where it should be or other info would help. Thanks my tractor is a 2003