TC 30 steering lines

/ TC 30 steering lines #1  

Dartagnan

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC30 Woods1009ldr
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd drop a line and warn you other owners.

117 hours.

Apparently, while moving some brush, I caught one of the steering lines and pulled or pushed it up and back into the crank pully. Since there are two distinct wear marks, I would say this is not the first time, just was lucky before.

Needless to say, the hose was not designed to resist that type of abrasion.

This is a flex hose about 14" long, pair of them go from the cylinder, up over the front axle, into a pair of bulkhead fittings.

To my dismay, the local TSC did not have anything to fit, 36" seemed a lil extreme to me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The Napa is also closed on Sunday too. So no seat time today....

hope this saves someone some downtime...

TTYL
Dart

/ TC 30 steering lines
Update:

Picked up a replacement and installed on Monday (in the dark and rain, but tractor is now out of front yard....)

Seems like a better quality hose, somewhat stiffer, and one end has a swivel in it now, so if I have to replace it again, I won't need to break the Bulkheads loose.

Once I actually get to explore in the daylight I'm going to rig something to prevent re-occurance. Working 6-6 at the Job kinda puts a damper on things...

Total cost including 1 gallon Branded Fluid $20 and Change.
And a lost work day, for me the expensive part...I only get about 52 a year before rain snow and ice, and family functions.

ttyl

Dart

/ TC 30 steering lines #3  
I have had several TC30(about 4 out of every 100) tractors that the power steering lines have rubbed against the crank pulley and wore a small hole in the line. The lines from the factory do not come with a swivel end and when installed at the factory could have been slightly twisted when tightened. This being said when the front axle pivots the line can rub the pulley. All of the units i have repaired failed between 50 and 150 hrs. I don't think it is a design flaw just probably assembled on friday afternoon. I now look at all class 2 tractors before they are sold and if the line is close it just needs to be loosened -turned and re tightened and no more problem.
PS your dealer should have warranted your line

/ TC 30 steering lines
I thought he might have, but it wasn't worth the drive to the place I bought the tractor, and wasn't going to ask the local dealer to warantee it, not for $20. (Although I wouldn't be suprised if he billed NH for it) If I had thought about it I could have mailed the old one to Jeff and gotten a spare for free maybe, hindsight is 20/20. Have to check with the wife on what happened to the old one.

Thanks
Dart

/ TC 30 steering lines #5  
Update:

Picked up a replacement and installed on Monday (in the dark and rain, but tractor is now out of front yard....)

Seems like a better quality hose, somewhat stiffer, and one end has a swivel in it now, so if I have to replace it again, I won't need to break the Bulkheads loose.

Once I actually get to explore in the daylight I'm going to rig something to prevent re-occurance. Working 6-6 at the Job kinda puts a damper on things...

Total cost including 1 gallon Branded Fluid $20 and Change.
And a lost work day, for me the expensive part...I only get about 52 a year before rain snow and ice, and family functions.

ttyl

Dart

/ TC 30 steering lines #6  
How did you gain access to remove the hose? It is extremely tight to get to. I could get a wrench on the one side, but couldn’t get enough torque on it to loosen it. Didn’t go to extremes to loosen since I figured if I couldn’t loosen the side easiest to get to, it wasn’t worth even trying to get to the other side witch is much tighter to get to. Changing a hose should be easy.

Thanks in advance!