TC18 Maintenance

/ TC18 Maintenance #11  
You made me think of an option. I'll ask my Snap-on tool rep if he has a battery operated loner or demo. We maybe purchaing a new alignment machine so I have some leverage (maybe). I'll ask him next week and if he does I let you know if I like it.

Derek

/ TC18 Maintenance #12  
That's a good idea, Derek. The Snap-on truck is bound to have them. If he doesn't, tell him to call his Matco competitor and buy one for you./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I know in some areas, the Snap-on and Matco distributors don't get along with each other very well (kind of like some tractor dealers I guess), but fortunately our local Snap-on distributor and my Matco distributor brother actually help each other, and the Snap-on distributor even sends air tools to me to repair.

Bird

/ TC18 Maintenance #13  
Where I am located the Snap-on is the only one tool truck that comes around. Half an hour drive away you will see Snap-on and Mac. If you drive an hour away you will see Snap-on, Mac, and Matco. From what I have heard they don't get along maybe due to the slow/poor ecomony here. Do you still repair air tools? I was wondering if you might know were to get a resealing (rebuilt) kit for an old water seperator (with a pressure regulator). I don't know the name off hand but they are pretty old. Thanks.

Derek

/ TC18 Maintenance
Thomas,

When I did my 50 hour service which included: oil and oil filter, fuel filter, two hydro filters, cleaning air filter, checking wheel lugs, and just sitting there admiring the awesome TC18...I think it took a couple of hours. I was moving slowly, checking my manual often to make sure I was doing everything correctly. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I will probably to my next service just before the weather starts getting really cold around here...like when it's regularly below 30 degrees. I don't know, it'll depend on my hours too, I'm at around 104 right now.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ TC18 Maintenance #15  
Derek, I couldn't help you with the water separator without knowing a make and model number. I've never had one to work on except my own and since I bought it new and kept the paperwork, I can get parts if I ever need them. I get a number of air tools of unknown make and model and can usually identify them when I see them, or can call and describe them to my parts supplier and he can identify them. Of course, I occasionally get one that we can't identify or one that's so old parts are no longer available.

Bird

/ TC18 Maintenance #16  
I remember my Dad always changed the oil and filters on our farm diesels (big Ford & IH tractors) every 100 hours religiously. On my little B7100 I change the oil and filter every 50-60 hours. The hydraulic fluid I change per the Kubota recommendation. Maybe changing more often than the 100 hour schedule is overkill, but it sure seems like pretty good preventive maintenance for very little cost.

We work our little toys pretty hard and they don't ask much in return. Fresh oil and a filter seems like the least I could do.

Bob Pence

/ TC18 Maintenance #17  
bpence, that's probably a little overkill all right, but it sure can't hurt anything. And of course, it might not even be overkill; depends on how the tractor is used. If you only run it for short periods of time when you start it (not long enough to thoroughly heat up and evaporate any condensation in the engine), or if it takes a year or more to put 100 hours on it, may not be overkill.

Bird

/ TC18 Maintenance #18  
Jim

The m6800/M8200/M9000 recommend 200 hours between oil changes they say due to the design of the engine. Whatever that means. I could not bear to change the oil twice to a single oil filter change (every 100 hours), but that is the recommendation.

/ TC18 Maintenance #19  
Bigfinn

I always drained all the hydraulic fluid before changing the hydraulic filter. Never got any oil out when changing the filter this way. Mine actually has two cartridge hydraulic filters.

/ TC18 Maintenance #20  
Jim, I could not agree with you more on this one. Do as the manual says, it is often times their warranty that must be upheld and I seriously doubt they will jeopardize that for something as simple as an oil change. I have read about the "Americans" conditioning to oil changes with regards to "Quick Lube" type places that recommend oil changes considerably earlier then that by the manufacturer (hard to imagine why). I certainly can see it from the folks I talk with thinking 3000 mile oil changes will prolong the life of their auto even though the manufactuers are stating as high as 7500 and often 5000 miles as the normal change dates. In Europe, oil changes are often done at the equivalent of 10,000 miles. (how many kilometers that is I'm not sure, but its less then 10,000 miles) I for one, base my oil changing on time and miles. I currently am doing a trial with Amsoil as McChalkley as touted as being good lubrication. I am particularly interested in the Synthetic Hydro as the warm up times for the hydro fluid indicated by the tractor manual for my tractor, are rarely observed. (min. of 10 minutes above 32 deg.).
I think my waste less mentality comes into play here and try to do what little I can do use less, especially when I feel that changing engine oils sooner then recommended has no benefit except to stroke ones own conciousness into believing it does. Rat...