TC21D not the right fit - need help

/ TC21D not the right fit - need help #1  

computerboy

Tractor
NH TC25D
I have been looking at the TC21D to mow about 2 acres of lawn and take care of another 11 acres of woods and maintain my 350ft gravel driveway. The main purpose will be mowing the lawn so I thought the TC21D would be nice size (not too big). None of the local dealers have a TC21D in stock, but one has a TC18. Yesterday I went to test drive the TC18. I had one big problem, I did not fit. I am only 6'0" tall but my knee keeps hitting the steering wheel when I use the hydro pedal. The dealer said the TC21D does not have any steering wheel adjustment either. Is this true? The Class II Boomers have adjustable steering wheel that tilts and moves up or down. I test drove a TC25D with super steer and it was nice.

Does anyone else with a TC18/21D have any problems with not being able to use the hydro pedal without their knees hitting the steering wheel? Does the TC21D have an option for a adjustable steering wheel? Will the TC24 have an adjustable steering wheel? Is the TC25D too big to main use for mowing? Since the TC25 is no longer in production, is this a bad buy?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was planning purchasing the TC21D by the end of the week if everything went well with the test drive and I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

/ TC21D not the right fit - need help #2  
Computerboy,
I recently traded my 10-month old TC21D for a TC29D.
It was not that the machine performed poorly; it did every task that I wanted to, but there were a couple of areas with the TC21D that I wanted to improve upon:
1. Size- I am 6'4" and after sitting in the seat for a few hours of mowing, it would get rather uncomfortable. I also was very wary of the TC21D on grades/slopes because it is light in weight when compared to the Class II and III Boomers.
2. 3 pt. hitch- Because of the standard hitch on the TC21D, several implements that I wanted to use were often difficult and time-consuming to attach properly. The deluxe hitch on the new tractor is a big improvement.

In my case, it's the old "If I knew then what I know now...", I would have opted for the larger series from the beginning.

Good luck w/your decision.

/ TC21D not the right fit - need help #3  
This is probably a Fo-Pah, but have you looked at the orange BX2200 or B2910?

/ TC21D not the right fit - need help #4  
computerboy,

I am 6' 2" and have a TC18. I've been using it since June 1999 and do not have any size problems.

Regarding the guy that suggested the BX, the TC18 is roomier than the BX for me.

Did you have the seat back/up all the way? As you slide the seat back, it also raises up to allow for longer legs. I have mowed approx. 3 acres, rotary cut another 4 acres, prepared a site for my pole barn (with some help from a coworker with an articulating end loader), removed top soil with a rear scoop, plowed snow, graded driveway, etc. The only thing that would be nicer are: power steering - since I wanted the TC18 that was in stock and didn't want to wait for another, and the swivel seat option on the TC25 on up would be a nice feature when doing 3 pt. work.

Good Luck, JimBinMI