TC21D safety

/ TC21D safety #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
First Let me say that I have enjoyed reading all the posts here. What a wealth of info. I bought the "book" for two reasons, 1. for the info inside, & 2 to support TBN.

I am looking for a new tractor (Assuming I can get my fiancee to agree). She is sold on the Utility, but keeps reminding me that her car cost as much as these machines.

My question is: What kind of safety features does the TC21D have? There are two things I am concerned about:

1. What prevents the tractor from starting?

2. If you leave the seat, will it shut down? Under what conditions (ie PTO engaged, Hydro pedal "in gear")

My current tractor JD 316 will shut down if you leave the seat with the PTO engaged, but won't if the tractor is in gear. Potential for a run away tractor. The best setup I've seen was on a honda lawn tractor, it would only run without an operater if the parking brake was on, trans in nuetral and PTO off.

Steve

/ TC21D safety #2  
I have a TC40D and the parking brake must be set and the hydro range selector must be in neutral or the tractor will not start (though it will crank). If you get out of the seat without setting the brakes and putting the range selector in neutral, the tractor shuts down in approx. 2 sec. I would suspect the TC21D is the same.
Bob

/ TC21D safety #3  
I can help you some with this question. I've got a TC21D. You can not start the tractor without the tractor being in neutral, the PTO levers being off completely, and personally the seat thing I've never tried. I think from what I've read in the manual. I just looked, it seems you can start the tractor without being on the seat, and the PTO continues to run one way or the other. The reason behind this maybe the attachments running off the rear PTO. If you have a chipper or something on that order, you'd need the PTO to keep running. I hope that helps. Good Luck Kent

/ TC21D safety
Thanks for the info. As I test drive more tractors (only rode the kubota so far), I will pay attention to the safety systems. The challange is going to be convincing my better half that it is a good investment.

Steve

/ TC21D safety #5  
<font color=blue>I am looking for a new tractor (Assuming I can get my fiancee to agree). She is sold on the Utility, but keeps reminding me that her car cost as much as these machines.</font color=blue>

Sounds familiar. When I was shopping for a tractor, my wife said OK, but if your car breaks down (Ford Explorer w/100,000 miles) you're driving the tractor for the next couple of years. (Like that was supposed to discourage me from buying a tractor ?!)