TC29 FEL Curl is Weak

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak #1  

logixjock

Tractor
Cub 1450
I have a New Holland TC29 with a 7308 FEL rated to pickup 875 pounds with the loader arms and 1602 pounds with the curl. Today I unloaded a pallet that weighed 837 pounds and the main loader cylinders just handled it OK, but I noticed that the curl cylinders couldn't budge it at all. The curl cylinders have always been way stronger than the main loader cylinders until today. I'm guessing I have a problem in the loader valve. I'd appreciate any insights any experienced hydraulic techs might have before I start getting into it.

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak #2  
Presume had forks since load was on a pallet. This moves the center of mass farther from pivot points so required curl force increases. Very common scenario with forks.

My suspicion is there is nothing wrong with curl function

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak #3  
One of the curl cylinders could have a bad seal too. Does it leak down (droop) quickly?

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak
One of the curl cylinders could have a bad seal too. Does it leak down (droop) quickly?
It doesn't seem to leak down any faster than it ever did. Somewhere I have a box of fittings and a gauge, I'm going to try to get some pressure readings after the loader valve later this evening

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak #5  
Not telling you what to do here, it's a matter of choice and fittings, but I think you would be better served to tee in the gauge ahead of the loader valve rather than after it. You can actually operate the tractor doing things and test more functions that way.

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak #6  
I have a New Holland TC29 with a 7308 FEL rated to pickup 875 pounds with the loader arms and 1602 pounds with the curl. Today I unloaded a pallet that weighed 837 pounds and the main loader cylinders just handled it OK, but I noticed that the curl cylinders couldn't budge it at all. The curl cylinders have always been way stronger than the main loader cylinders until today. I'm guessing I have a problem in the loader valve. I'd appreciate any insights any experienced hydraulic techs might have before I start getting into it.

I agree with oldnslo. It sounds the curl function on your loader is working normally.

Your 7308 loader specs say it measures lift and curl from the bucket pivot, so the distance out to the load will make a big difference. Doubling the distance to the load cuts the curl force in half.

The measurement to the center of a pallet is farther than with a a bucket, so pallet forks will always curl less than buckets. Forks that mount to a bucket lip reduce the available curl force even more.

Someone here on TBN pointed out years ago that there is a standard SAE way to measure loader lift and curl. But not all manufacturers use it.

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak #7  
Were these pallet forks a SSQA type or bucket clamp on type?

/ TC29 FEL Curl is Weak
I finally got a chance to put the bucket on and test it and it will no longer pick the front wheels up off of the ground. Definitely something has gotten weak. I couldn't find my box of gauges and fittings yet, but since it is weak in both directions, I'm thinking a piston seal is gone. I'm going to figure out how to swap my hoses around later on to verify.