TC29D Repair Question

/ TC29D Repair Question #1  

Efarm

Tractor
New Holland tc29
I am new to farming and tractor repair... so my apology up front if this is a dumb question. Here goes.. I noticed on my TC29D a clanking sound when the tractor was moving. I discovered that the rubber boot that attaches to the front axle and covers the universal joints was shot. And the rigid tube that I believe attaches to the rubber boot and covers the drive shaft was flopping around. The universal joints on both ends looked fine as did the shaft. So I purchased a new rigid tube, bushings and rubber boot... but I can't figure how it works. The bushings on rigid tube seem fixed and have no bearings... so is the shaft supposed to spin inside the rigid tube? I am assuming so as there is a grease fitting. This is what I purchased from Messicks
shaft.PNG
From the Messicks diagram, it appears the rigid tube attaches front axle gears to the front universal. That wasn't the case on what was on my tractor. The rigid tube was over the shaft, just behind the rubber boot and it was just floating free. It could be moved from front to back with no issues (hence the clanking sound when the tractor was moving). There was no clamp attaching the rigid tube to the rubber boot, but the Messicks diagram shows one. I have included a photo from my tractor. Confused as to how to hook it up. Any advice (short of get someone to fix it for you) would be appreciated.
tractorshot1.PNG