TC30 intermittent cranking

/ TC30 intermittent cranking #1  

davesill

Tractor
New Holland TC30
My New Holland TC30 has developed a problem where sometimes it'll crank and sometimes it won't. Usually it'll work fine for 2-4 days then won't crank for 2-4 days, though there have been longer and shorter stretches. I've replaced the starter and traced wires (found and fixed a couple potential shorts). When it won't crank, the dash lights come on normally but it never beeps like it does when there's nobody on the seat. I've also verified all the fuses are good. When it cranks it starts right up. I'm at a loss for where to look next. I fear if I take it to the dealer it won't exhibit the failure mode and they won't be able to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Edited to add:

Another symptom is that occasionally the tractor will stop running on its own and won't crank back up.

Last edited:
   / TC30 intermittent cranking #2  
My New Holland TC30 has developed a problem where sometimes it'll crank and sometimes it won't. Usually it'll work fine for 2-4 days then won't crank for 2-4 days, though there have been longer and shorter stretches. I've replaced the starter and traced wires (found and fixed a couple potential shorts). When it won't crank, the dash lights come on normally but it never beeps like it does when there's nobody on the seat. I've also verified all the fuses are good. When it cranks it starts right up. I'm at a loss for where to look next. I fear if I take it to the dealer it won't exhibit the failure mode and they won't be able to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Have you checked all safety switches? Could also be a bad relay.

I would then start using a test meter and make sure starter, relay and ignition switch are getting power at the specific terminals during the start procedure.

Please let us know what you find.

/ TC30 intermittent cranking
It does sound like one of the transmission/PTO switches is open when it should be closed, but engaging/disengaging them has never had any effect. It's baffling to me that this problem occurs and goes away even when the tractor is sitting parked in my shed and it literally hasn't been touched. It run fine, I park it. Next time I try to start it, maybe it cranks, maybe it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure the starter/relay aren't getting power or it would be cranking. I'm not much of a mechanic, though.

/ TC30 intermittent cranking #4  
I have the exact same problem as the OP.

You should see the below thread. It's a long thread (read all the way through), and it concerns a TC33D, but many symptoms are the same, and the tractors are close, so I suspect it's the same problem.

I plan on applying the Starter Relay Fix (see posts 51 and 127) and replacing the + battery cable (even though it looks fine). Still have to procure the service bulletin and the parts, and will report back once I have results.

Good luck and please report back also.

/ TC30 intermittent cranking #5  
I'm thinking that the ignition switch is going bad. The contact plate is not seating firmly and causing the problem of intermittent starting and occasional stopping.

The relay/cable system referred to by jn9230 wouldn't cause the intermittent stopping.

/ TC30 intermittent cranking #6  
Try jumping your seat switch and see if the problem goes away for a few days.

Having a test light on hand for these intermittent problems is really the only way to diag the problem.

/ TC30 intermittent cranking #7  
I had a very similar issue as far as not cranking. On mine it was the mid-PTO safety switch not always being engaged. I bent the tang on the PTO lever to more fully engage the switch and haven't had an issue since.

/ TC30 intermittent cranking #8  
[snip]
found and fixed a couple potential shorts.

I'd sure like to know where are the shorts that you fixed, because I think I have a short somewhere, and don't know where to begin.