TC40DA starter wiring question...

/ TC40DA starter wiring question... #1  

SuperCobra

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
Edit: Disregard everything below. I'm an idiot and hooked ground wires up to a hot post on the starter rather than the starter stud on the bellhousing.

Short question: 2006 TC40DA - What are all of the wires (bundle of four or five) going to (from?) the backside post on the starter? Can I just leave them off? I disconnected them for trouble shooting and it fixed my no start problem, everything seems to be working (instrument panel, etc). What am I missing (lacking) if I don't fix my original problem in order to reconnect them? I can't tell from the wiring diagram.

TLDR/long background to save someone typing or asking a bunch of questions: Original problem was the occasional typical TC click /no start. I bought a new starter and it did the same thing so then read through all of the pinned post and "TC no start" post on the forum. I thought my original problem was the #2 fuse issue (instead of fuse mine has the CB). I replaced the CB with a fuse and it immediately blew it. Put in a new fuse it didn't blow and starter worked but starter wasn't getting enough power to turn over engine. I noticed that wire bundle was getting hot and smoking (short somewhere related that harness?) so I disconnected it. It starts fine without those wires connected. I could eventually try to find the short and even do the start/safety bypass people have recommended but is there a need if whatever was shorting is no longer powered and I haven't missed those functions? I'm assuming part of that may be the PTO and neutral start safety. If that is all there is there, I won't miss them. For clarification, I'm talking about the harness going into (or from?) the right/starboard post, not the big red primaries on the left side coming from the battery.

Thanks in advance and thank you tell to all that have previously posted on these issues.

Last edited: