Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly

/ Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly #21  
Error on the side of more tongue weight. I had a little emergency and had to haul my tractor with chains on and the back wheels wouldn't clear the fenders. I could only go about 35-40MPH tops. I was trying to watch my speed real close and just as I looked I was at 42 and the trailer started to sway real bad. I just took my foot of the gas, prayed a lot and after what seemed like an eternity finally got slowed down enough to smooth out. Another driver went past me and wiped his hand across his forehead. I think he knew what I was up against. I was worried I was going to roll the truck and trailer. If I was going down hill I think it would have rolled. Maybe applying the trailer brakes would have helped but I wasn't about to experiment. One thing I've noticed is make sure your trailer hitch is set properly. My trailer is high at the hitch end when empty and sits pretty level when loaded. I've seen trailers that look like the person had never even considered adjusting the hitch height.

/ Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly #22  
I stand on the back and measure the drop with a tape. Im about 200 and that drops the bumper by 3/4 inch. When I lower the 7500 lb trailer off the jack I look for 3 to 3.5 inches of drop before tightening the load bars. I use a scale from time to time and the prior method seems pretty good, im usually a little over on tongue weight, maybe up to 13 instead of 10 percent, never under.

/ Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly #23  
Jason,

I wonder if I am the only one that feels frightened when he sees something tied down with straps rather than chains and binders?

Nice looking tractor!

Wish I had your trailer!

Bill

The straps are 5k working load straps, and there are 4 of them. Wont be an issue. And so much less hassle. I have chains and binders as backup.

/ Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly #24  
Jason,

I wonder if I am the only one that feels frightened when he sees something tied down with straps rather than chains and binders?

Nice looking tractor!

Wish I had your trailer!

Bill
There is nothing wrong with using straps as long as there are no sharp edges to contend with. A 5000# WLL strap will hold as much as a 5000# WLL chain. That said, I use chains when hauling heavy equipment but will strap down a lawnmower anytime with a ratchet strap and have no worries about it.

I will also use a strap across the FEL or backhoe just because the law requires attachments to be tied down. Not much way anything could pull the FEL or backhoe off a tractor without breaking a pin or something anyway.

/ Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly #25  
There is nothing wrong with using straps as long as there are no sharp edges to contend with. A 5000# WLL strap will hold as much as a 5000# WLL chain. That said, I use chains when hauling heavy equipment but will strap down a lawnmower anytime with a ratchet strap and have no worries about it.

I will also use a strap across the FEL or backhoe just because the law requires attachments to be tied down. Not much way anything could pull the FEL or backhoe off a tractor without breaking a pin or something anyway.
The edges don't even have to be sharp. The brush guard on my L3200 has kind of rounded corners. Thought I'd be fine, but in under 20 minutes of towing they ate through 1/3 of the 15k lbs rated strap. I now only use chain unless the strap will only be in free air & not rubbing on anything.

/ Tell me how to load my tractor and skid steer on the trailer correctly #26  
Error on the side of more tongue weight. I had a little emergency and had to haul my tractor with chains on and the back wheels wouldn't clear the fenders. I could only go about 35-40MPH tops. I was trying to watch my speed real close and just as I looked I was at 42 and the trailer started to sway real bad. I just took my foot of the gas, prayed a lot and after what seemed like an eternity finally got slowed down enough to smooth out. Another driver went past me and wiped his hand across his forehead. I think he knew what I was up against. I was worried I was going to roll the truck and trailer. If I was going down hill I think it would have rolled. Maybe applying the trailer brakes would have helped but I wasn't about to experiment. One thing I've noticed is make sure your trailer hitch is set properly. My trailer is high at the hitch end when empty and sits pretty level when loaded. I've seen trailers that look like the person had never even considered adjusting the hitch height.
Hitting the brakes makes things worse. Hitting the brake controller for just the trailer brakes will save your bacon. Instead of pulling side to side, your trailer will pull back, which your tow is setup to handle, unlike the swaying.

Had a sway issue once with an empty cargo trailer. It generated skidmarks inside my truck. I also get sway issues with my tilting deck trailer empty. Towing it home from auction sucked & I had to stay under 60 or I could feelING it start warming up to dance. 15 minutes with a snow shovel piling snow up front fixed it right up though. The rest of the trip home at 75 was fine.