Temporary cheap gin poles

/ Temporary cheap gin poles #1  

smiley

Gold Member
There's a couple threads going about truck mounted gin poles and I didn't want to butt in to those, so started this one.

A truck mounted one is great if you have use for it, but if you just need a temporary set up for a building, there's a cheap easy way.
When we built my single story house, we cut a tree that was about 8" diameter at about 25 ft high for a mast. We buried the bottom then chained a smaller boom about 16-18 ft long to the mast just above the plate. We then chained the boom to the top of the mast at about a 30 degree angle. Pulleys were attached to the top and bottom of the mast and on the end of the boom. A 1/2 " nylon rope ran through the pulleys and hooked to the car. The wife would just drive forward to pull the trusses up and we'd swing them into place.
One could probably figure on setting a temporary gin pole in the center of their project and set trusses and/or poles with it all the way around, then take it down when finished.

I've seen too many crane accidents so be safety conscious whether it's a truck mounted, permanent or temporary setup, overbuild and over brace.
!!!!!!!!!SUSPENDED LOADS CAN HURT OR KILL YOU IN A HURRY!!!!!!!!

Our temporary one looked much like the 30's truck mounted one in Rhetts post Quoted below with the link.

Rhett [/quote]
info links:
Early 30s Gin Pole Scammells. NOW I see how it all works says Biglorryblog... (BigLorryBlog)
Rhett[/quote]