Terramite engine swap

/ Terramite engine swap #1  

Foxl3830

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota l3830,Ford 8N
My father has a terramite backhoe I think in the early 90s has a 20hp kohler command I think it's red it's been Awsome but now after many years and thousands of hours it's tired any thought on engine swaps we looked into having it rebuilt no one will do a rebuild? It's kind of goofy it has a fly wheel adaptor to the hydro pump and main shaft is out the front and looks machined off we seen harbor freight has a 22hp predator motor but fly wheel looks different and ideas or thought let me know been a great machine just needs a new heart beat thanks

/ Terramite engine swap #3  
My Grandpa re powered a skid steer with a Chevy LUV diesel. It didn't work good at all because there wasn't a RPM governor. Even a slight load would bog it down requiring manual throttle adjustments to maintain RPMS. A normal human doesn't have enough limbs to operate 2 feet pedals and 2 hand controls in addition to a 5th throttle lever at the same time.

/ Terramite engine swap #4  
My Grandpa re powered a skid steer with a Chevy LUV diesel. It didn't work good at all because there wasn't a RPM governor. Even a slight load would bog it down requiring manual throttle adjustments to maintain RPMS. A normal human doesn't have enough limbs to operate 2 feet pedals and 2 hand controls in addition to a 5th throttle lever at the same time.

This is what happens when you swap in an automotive diesel into an industrial application. Automotive diesels only govern idle and top end. The inbetween gets done with the foot throttle. I'm thinking that a innovative person would be able to hook up a cruise control to govern the engine.

/ Terramite engine swap #5  
This is what happens when you swap in an automotive diesel into an industrial application. Automotive diesels only govern idle and top end. The inbetween gets done with the foot throttle. I'm thinking that a innovative person would be able to hook up a cruise control to govern the engine.
He could have figured it out, but didn't take the time to do it. He ended up just selling the machine.

/ Terramite engine swap #6  
Pics?? It sounds like that is a coupler on the flywheel. It is meant to account for slight misalignments between the motor and the pump (save the bearings). If you can't use that coupler, there are lots of others out there.

/ Terramite engine swap #7  
We swapped out the 18 hp Briggs & Stratton years ago on our T5 with a 20 hp Honda. As I recall, you have to make sure the engine turns in the correct direction and the output shaft is the correct diameter. We also had to add shims under the motor to align it with the pump. Using the Honda sure did quiet the tractor and made it more enjoyable to run.

/ Terramite engine swap #8  
My father has a terramite backhoe I think in the early 90s has a 20hp kohler command I think it's red it's been Awsome but now after many years and thousands of hours it's tired any thought on engine swaps we looked into having it rebuilt no one will do a rebuild? It's kind of goofy it has a fly wheel adaptor to the hydro pump and main shaft is out the front and looks machined off we seen harbor freight has a 22hp predator motor but fly wheel looks different and ideas or thought let me know been a great machine just needs a new heart beat thanks

In my PowerTrac PT425 I have a 25hp Kohler command pro that has two pumps on the output shaft side and the drive pump on the shaft coming out of the fan side. I'd suggest to ease your pain, if you can't rebuild the current engine, put in a new exact same engine. It will save you headaches in the long run with adapters, mounts, etc...

As you've stated, "It's been Awsome" and you got thousands of hours out of it. Why change a good thing? :confused3:

/ Terramite engine swap #9  
The terramite engine has a special built engine, the output shaft on the flywheel end.
Here is a link to small engine warehouse.
Search Results for Small Engine Warehouse
I have two terramites, one with a kohler other honda. I wouldn't recommend a honda because too many things that won't easily line up.
Not sure a harbor frieght will work, shaft size, direction of rotation, muffle locationr, height shaft is from plate, shaft length.
Here is another link to ebay.
Kohler V-Twin Engine 2.5 HP 674cc Command Terramite Engine #CH64-312 | eBay

I would never replace engine with any but a kohler. So buy new or rebuild what you have,