That last step might kill you....

/ That last step might kill you.... #11  
I can't stress enough how really dangerous it is getting off your tractor especially for those with larger tractors...You are usually tired and ready to call it a day and you can easily catch your foot on one of the bedals or levers or the steps themselves and take a header onto the ground or any equipment that happens to be around. Two times now I have come close to taking a tumble when getting off the tractor..and I am in good shape with real good knees..I just was in a hurry, tired and not paying attention. Be careful.

Yep, and watch out for boot laces too...especially if you have a gear shift lever on the transmission tunnel.

/ That last step might kill you....
FYI,

The farmer that was hurt by falling off the tractor died this past Friday.

Later,
Dan

/ That last step might kill you.... #14  
YouTube - Three Point Exit

I am the regional safety trainer for the company I work for. Yeah, I'm talking trucks not tractors, but it's all the same. In the trucking industry, the BIGGEST killer of drivers is slips and falls, with lack of Three Points of Contact being the root cause.

It's hard to break habits, but with practice at first it'll come with time. Turn and face the tractor, always have three points contacting the unit. One hand two feet, two hands one foot, etc. One other "step" often "missed" is glance at the ground and know where you are going to place your foot. This eliminates slips, trips and falls caused by items on the ground.

I'm 6'2" and can step in and out of these trucks and can jump into the tail of a trailer. I can retrain myself, anyone can!

Wish I could find Kellers "Johnny Jumper" video on 3poc. Much more entertaining that FritoLay's version.

/ That last step might kill you.... #15  
YouTube - Three Point Exit

I am the regional safety trainer for the company I work for. Yeah, I'm talking trucks not tractors, but it's all the same. In the trucking industry, the BIGGEST killer of drivers is slips and falls, with lack of Three Points of Contact being the root cause.

It's hard to break habits, but with practice at first it'll come with time. Turn and face the tractor, always have three points contacting the unit. One hand two feet, two hands one foot, etc. One other "step" often "missed" is glance at the ground and know where you are going to place your foot. This eliminates slips, trips and falls caused by items on the ground.

I'm 6'2" and can step in and out of these trucks and can jump into the tail of a trailer. I can retrain myself, anyone can!

Wish I could find Kellers "Johnny Jumper" video on 3poc. Much more entertaining that FritoLay's version.

Stop that video at 1:44 and 1:45.... the trainer is doing it wrong! Only two points of contact as he jumps off the last step. :laughing:

/ That last step might kill you.... #16  
This summer one of our company drivers was severly injured exiting his truck. He was directed to stay in his cab while being loaded by a crane. For some reason he decided to step onto the running board to watch. As he stepped out he perceived the load was sliding toward him (which was not) so he jumped down to run away from the truck. He stumbled as he landed running & ran head down & face first into a concrete/pipe bollard guarding a fire hydrant. Broke his jaw, knocked out several teeth, split his hardhat & ended up with a severe concussion (and an ambulance ride). 3 point exit could have prevented the whole thing, as could have following direction to stay in the truck. MikeD74t

/ That last step might kill you.... #17  
Stop that video at 1:44 and 1:45.... the trainer is doing it wrong! Only two points of contact as he jumps off the last step. :laughing:

Yeah, poor trainer, for sure. I found another one after the fact that was much better. I also like the loose top step and squawking seat suspension that would drive me crazy.

He also did not look to see where his feet were going to hit the ground. He obviously has not yet rolled an ankle exiting a truck.

/ That last step might kill you.... #18  
This summer one of our company drivers was severly injured exiting his truck. He was directed to stay in his cab while being loaded by a crane. For some reason he decided to step onto the running board to watch. As he stepped out he perceived the load was sliding toward him (which was not) so he jumped down to run away from the truck. He stumbled as he landed running & ran head down & face first into a concrete/pipe bollard guarding a fire hydrant. Broke his jaw, knocked out several teeth, split his hardhat & ended up with a severe concussion (and an ambulance ride). 3 point exit could have prevented the whole thing, as could have following direction to stay in the truck. MikeD74t

Ouch. We've had two bad ones in the last five years. One was one of our "turners of steering wheels" who no longer works for us. He was ugly for being sent back out after he finished "his job" during a snow storm. Knowing the individual's short fused temperament, I think it's safe to say he was spending more time griping than focusing on what he should be doing. He slipped off the back of the truck he neglected to clean the snow from, fell, hanging onto the door strap with one hand and snagging the tail of the truck on the way down. The door slammed his wrist, crushing it. He almost lost the hand do to compartmental syndrome.

The other was our oldest driver. I mean that only in the fact the man had an unbelievable driving history, 41 years without a single fleet loss. He was a man very set in his ways. Take him out of his groove or his truck and the mental perfection seemed to disappear. Anyway, he was in a different truck that was missing the second section of deck plate behind the cab. He stopped 120 miles south of his terminal to check the electrical pigtail. At some point, while not using 3poc, he stepped in the hole where the deck was missing and fell all the way to the ground, pinballing his way around the other deck, driveshaft and driveline. He broke a few ribs and lacerated an arm to the bone. he then proceeded to drive the truck all the way back (Had to get the load back, that's commitment!) and found he was in so much pain he couldn't get out of the truck. I got to work in time to come around the corner, unaware of the goings on, to see the meds trying to get him on a backboard within the confines of a daycab.

/ That last step might kill you.... #19  
Three points of contact...something I learned early on in my career as a Lineman. Climbing steel latticework towers using stepbolts in the corner angle iron support leg required us to always have at least three poc and we would never grab the stepbolt itself, always the big angle iron itself. The thinking was, if it broke for whatever reason, it would be better to be hanging onto something solid rather than having it come off in your hand just as you were reaching up to grab the next one.

A person should never be in a hurry to get on or off any equipment (well, maybe if Yellow Jackets are after you!:D). Being in a hurry just increases your momentum and makes it all that much harder to catch yourself when the stupidest little thing catches you up.