The best ZTR for $5000?

/ The best ZTR for $5000? #1  

XSKIER

Platinum Member
Tractor
'11 Deere 1026R
I've got three acres to mow, not many severe slopes, many obstacles, and an aging garden tractor. I also have a TLB and two antique tractors for other chores so I don't need any other capabilities other than strictly to mow. In my area there are Husqy, Hustler, Ferris, Ex-Mark, Scag, Deere, Snapper, and Cub Cadet to choose from. I'm looking for a 52"-54"
Deck due to space constraints in the yard.

Where do you draw the line above "occasional use" components and build quality? Any motors to stay away from? Are the hydro gear 3400 trans ok? I'm leery of the Kohler courage motor, should I be? I'm liking the Husqy MZ5225, but have anxiety over that courage motor. I'm on the edge of suburbia here, so many used ZTRs that come up for sale are 2000 hour plus machines, I'm not really interested in a project.

/ The best ZTR for $5000? #2  
Have you considered the John Deere Ztracs?
I have the Z465 and impressed with it. Slopes are not a ztr strong asset though neither is bumpy grass. The z200 series has smaller rear tires which don't seem to hold a slope as well. I would go for the Z600 for the bells and whistles as it has the foot lift option but with the 54" deck you may not need it. I have the older Kawasaki engine which has a squeak in it. I wouldn't be to worried about the engines, just remember to keep the cooling fines clean as well as the air filter. These engines run hot as they are not liquid cooled and they run during the summer heat. Good luck in your hunt!

/ The best ZTR for $5000? #3  
Ive owned most of what you have in your area(except Deere ,hustler)...The one I had the most issues with were Ferris. Had wheel motors and hydro pumps fail on both units.
My Exmark had the best cut by far with the Ultra cut deck. I'm using toros now, and love 'em..Toro owns Exmark, and there the same unit except for the deck. Toro has a 5yr 1000hr warrenty, Exmark has 3yr, 500hr.(motors warrenty's are thro manufacture, and are usually 1yr). Both of my Toro's have 500+ hrs on 'em in 3 seasons with no issuse... I do recommend buying from a dealer instead of a big box store. If you have any issues, the box stores take the unit to god knows who to fix it.

Oh ya Snapper owns Ferris, But snapper uses smaller hydro's/wheel motors then the ferris of similar size...