Buying Advice The old hydro vs. gear question (again!)

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #1  

flowerfarmer

Tractor
Kubota B3300HSD
I've been looking to upgrade from my 'bota b7100 HST. I found a '92 JD 870 w/FEL, 5' box blade, quick connect 3pt, 1150hrs, good condition, asking 10K. The price seems reasonable (is it?) but I'm concerned about the gear transmission. I do a bit of brush hogging around trees, a fair amount of loader work, and some clearing and skidding out in the woods with the little kubota. The new unit would also be doing some snow blowing - around the perimeters of my greenhouses in some tight confines. Do ya'll think I'll be happy with the gear transmission? Will the larger size of this unit present some maueverability problems given the trees and greenhouses that I must work around. Thanks for your help

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #2  
HST for your applications.:thumbsup:

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #3  
No and yes.

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #4  
No and yes.

RadarTech and Cyril would have made two posts out of that answer :)

Don't know about the price, it could be a touch high. Depends on the condition.

If you have been using HST without complaint or issues, going to gear may cause you frustration. It will work just fine - but not what you are used to.
Dave.

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #5  
I am with Eagon - HST for what you describe and you currently have HST. "Tight confinement around green houses, snowblowing, brush hogging around trees." You will be very unhappy with gear in those conditions. I am afraid you may buy the gear, hate it, resell it for another HST and loose even more money in the process. The 870 probably has a dry clutch and could go out between 1500-2000 hours depending on how much it is used. My JD 5300 clutch went out at 1700 hours and I thought I was not too rough on the clutch.

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #6  
I have probably 15 hours on my dad's Mahindra 4110 gear (~40hp) & now ~5 hours on my own Kubota L3940 HST ... Limited tractor time, I know, but ain't no way I'd go back to a gear after this :) The HST is just too smoothe & easy, no clutch, smooth & perfect speed selection. Drive the HST by foot or by hand with the cruise control. I don't think it could be better!

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #7  
I've been looking to upgrade from my 'bota b7100 HST. I found a '92 JD 870 w/FEL, 5' box blade, quick connect 3pt, 1150hrs, good condition, asking 10K. The price seems reasonable (is it?) but I'm concerned about the gear transmission. I do a bit of brush hogging around trees, a fair amount of loader work, and some clearing and skidding out in the woods with the little kubota. The new unit would also be doing some snow blowing - around the perimeters of my greenhouses in some tight confines. Do ya'll think I'll be happy with the gear transmission? Will the larger size of this unit present some maueverability problems given the trees and greenhouses that I must work around. Thanks for your help
Nobody welcomed you to TBN yet! :eek:

Welcome to TBN! :thumbsup:

I would prefer HST for your applications.

/ The old hydro vs. gear question (again!) #8  
My problem is after running a forklift for so long at work. I won't be thinking about it and I'll try to use the Hi/Low as a shuttle shift. :D
Seems like I only do that at the dirt pile though. :confused: