The one that got away :-(

/ The one that got away :-( #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
I have been kinda looking for an upgrade to my B7100HST (don't tell her). I have been needing more 3-point lift capability (then I could get 3-point mounts added to my pallet forks, which weigh 250 lbs -- over 1/2 the B7100's left capability) and would like power steering. I've been watching for the following (HST only):
B1700
B1750
B2100
B2150
B2400

Yesterday, a B2400 w/ 490 hours, LA351 loader, a 14' trailer, and a back blade showed up on craiglist about 90 miles from her for $8000!

I didn't see it until today. The add said to call after 4PM. I called; no answer, left a message. Called again at 6pm. Someone had called yesterday, and was on the way to pick it up.

Drats....

Over twice the rear lift capability, 30% more loader capability, 50% more HP (engine, and PTO), and power steering. I figure that I could sell the back blade and the trailer, and my B7100 and would have had a very nice upgrade for not a lot of extra money.

I guess, I'll keep looking......

/ The one that got away :-( #2  
I'm looking at an '07 B7610 (hrs?) w/ a FEL and a Bush Hog 48" boxblade, mounted on an '07 Hudson HSE Deluxe - 5 Ton 18' foot dovetail trailer for $11.5K?

What's the opinion? Good price?

I was to late for a BX24 w/ enclosed 16' trailer for $16K :(

/ The one that got away :-( #3  
Those B7100 are working little mules...had one for 14 years...only down fall was no power steering.
They say never buy the first one,sooo the next deal should be great one and yours...better tell the Mrs. tho. ;)

/ The one that got away :-(
Those B7100 are working little mules...had one for 14 years...only down fall was no power steering.
They say never buy the first one,sooo the next deal should be great one and yours...better tell the Mrs. tho. ;)

I agree, the B7100 is a great working little mule. I definitely like the fact that they are rugged and simple. I would say it has two downfalls, one, as you said, the lack of power steering, the other, is the 3-point lift is quite anemic, at only 400 lbs. If I had the 1000+ lbs of rear lift capacity of these models I'm looking at, I could use my real pallet fork setup (250lbs) instead of the carry-all (which, due to the "height" of the 3" angle iron is a tight fit in the pallets) for moving my pallets of firewood on the back (much less impact on my lawn, and easier on the steering than moving them with the FEL).

For these two reasons, I started looking for one of the models listed above. The B2400 mentioned isn't the first one that I was willing to go look at, but was definitely the best deal I have seen in months of looking. My mistake was, I didn't look on Wednesday, the day it was posted. The person that bought it called within a few hours of it being posted, and was on his way to pick it up when I called. The seller had 5 more calls between when I called, and when he called me back to say the the buyer had just picked it up. I'm sure he now regrets selling it for so little. I see a lot of B1700's listed for what he was asking (w/o trailer or back blade), and a lot of the B2400's I see are $1-2k more with twice the hours. Oh well, I'll just keep looking.

/ The one that got away :-( #5  
I've been looking myself - looking at a 2100, 7500, 7510....

The local dealer has 0% financing for 3 yrs and with 15% down, for 4 years.... Thinking the extra money, warranty, and great financing may be worth it... Also may be a little easier to sell to her - I understand your situation.... how did you get her to agree in the first place, I'm trying to just get one, not even upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Have you thought about a 7500? Not sure where you live, there I know a guy here, selling a 7510, 155 hours, 2007, 4wd, gear trans, loader, finishing mower for $10,750, but I know you could get him to 10,500 - not sure you are wanting to pay that much...

tommyz270 said:
I've been looking myself - looking at a 2100, 7500, 7510....

The local dealer has 0% financing for 3 yrs and with 15% down, for 4 years.... Thinking the extra money, warranty, and great financing may be worth it... Also may be a little easier to sell to her - I understand your situation.... how did you get her to agree in the first place, I'm trying to just get one, not even upgrade.

My wife DOES NOT KNOW that I'm considering an upgrade. It took me several months to convince her that we should keep a tractor at all once the landscaping work we are doing is done. She has started to slowly come around, now that she sees how much more quickly we can clear snow from the driveway, and distribute the much around in the spring/summer. It is a huge time and back saver, and we are not getting any younger.

The B7100HST just right for about 90% of what I use it for. More 3PH lift would be great, as I'd be able to pickup and move my pallets of firewood w/o cheating, and use the hydraulic top link to do the actual lifting. Power steering would be nice, as FEL work is kind of a bummer without it. I don't NEED to upgrade, so that is why I'm waiting for the "Right Deal(tm)".

As for financing, this would be a cash purchase only; there is absolutely no way that my wife would ever allow a loan on something she doesn't really think we need. Plus I don't want any dept. Heck, I paid cash for every car/truck that I've ever owned but my wife's current car, and with that, we put almost 1/2 down, and paid it off way early.

Also, with the current economy, my job isn't very secure (one of my company's biggest market segments supplies the automotive industry -- we all know how well THAT is doing), so additional dept is a no-no. If I was to lose my job, and had a tractor loan, the tractor would have to go IMMEDIATELY. Plus, a new B2320 w/ FEL is nearly twice my $8k price target.

Have you thought about a 7500? Not sure where you live, there I know a guy here, selling a 7510, 155 hours, 2007, 4wd, gear trans, loader, finishing mower for $10,750, but I know you could get him to 10,500 - not sure you are wanting to pay that much...

Yes, the B7500 and B7510 are both on the list. They are pretty similar to the B2100. I'll also consider the right deal any of the following: B7610, B7800, B2x20, etc. I'd even consider a B7300HSD for the right price (like maybe close to what I think i can get for the B7100HST) just for the rear lift upgrade ( I know the B7300 doesn't have power steering).

As I stated above, my B7100 is enough, so I'm in no hurry; just waiting for the right deal to come along (again). Prices are a little depressed due to the economy, and I'm sure some good equipment is becoming available through some unfortunate circumstances; and although I feel bad for those that have to sell due to job loss, etc; someone is going to buy, so if the price is right, it might as well me be -- it'll get a good home!

BTW, I second Ducktape's comments on your hydrostatic-vs-gear thread. My first tractor was a gear-drive B7100 -- I put all of 22 hours on it before buying the B7100HST. It was almost all FEL work, and a non-syncro gear-drive transmission is a pain with FEL work compared to the hydro. Don't even think twice about it -- get the hydro.

I might want to add the B8200 (hydro only) to the list of possibles.
Any opinions on this model?

Also, specs? Weight, 3PH force, etc?

Thanks,
Jay