The right tractor.........for mountain biking?!

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #21  
I live in a relatively flat are and also enjoy cycling. I recommend adapting to the terrain you are moving to rather than trying to make such significant changes. Take up road cycling and become a TT expert!

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #22  
Probably the most efficient way would be a pull type scraper (with a bowl to carry material )with properly matched tractor/horsepower. Easier to get creative on your designs this way also. Excavators or backhoes would be slow in comparison. Buy the biggest tractor you can afford and pick up an appropriately sized scraper used. Terry image-2350343666.png

I've used one like this for building berms and assisting in golf course construction in the past.

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #23  
AchingBack: Not even joking...I've looked in to this as a hired service. It'd be in the ballpark of $20-30,000 for that much earth moving. I'm thinking I might be able to find a used/auction dozer of medium size for $8-12,000 (again, I may be completely wrong in that statement... check this out...---------- 1981 Fiat-Allis 10C dozer | no-reserve auction on Thursday, December 18, 2014 |

[ 27,828 lbs. base operating weight ] Do you have a truck and trailer that would haul the dozer?

[ 7,645 hours on meter ]

How about the tools to work on it?

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #24  
You better budget in a lot of silt fence .

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #25  
Reaaly,

Not trying to be a jerk, but I've done my share of terrra forming so I think you would be better off moving to a piece of land with some elevation & building your own paths.

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #26  
Reaaly,

Not trying to be a jerk, but I've done my share of terrra forming so I think you would be better off moving to a piece of land with some elevation & building your own paths.

I sure agree with mike69440, but with one exception... I'd prefer to LEASE the land rather than buying it. No or little work, no thousands of dollars spent on preparation - providing you buy land with lots of hills, and rumps built by nature. Pick up a hundred acres or so of woodland within 100 miles or so of your home. That'd be a nice weekend place within a couple of hours or less from your home. Pickup a medium size tractor and a couple of implements to cut your trails, and you'd be set.

This way you wouldn't be stuck trying to sell a plot of land that you may never get even your money back on, and still have the remote site that you and your friends would have full use of whenever and whatever you like.

Keep in mind, regardless of how you feel about mountain biking today, 10 years down the road you most probably will have other interest. I'd certainly recommend that you discuss your current intentions with the land owner though.

/ The right tractor.........for mountain biking?! #27  
Be easier just to move to a state with real hills, like Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, or Alaska. I'd mention other vertically privileged states, but those tend to have too many folks who don't really appreciate off-road wheels of any kind.