The right tractor for towing/forestry work

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #51  
I knew of a doctor died that way, towing a log with a chain, getting hung, and tractor flipped backwards in a flash. No ROPS.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #52  
I see no mention of log skidders here. Are they not capable of pulling loaded trailers ? I thought the OP mentioned pulling logs out of hilly terrain, etc. plus the trailer duty. I DO NOT have experience in this area but I do see a lot of log skidders in hilly areas. Isn't this what they are made for ? Why not ?

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #53  
My father in law DIED using a tractor for logging. He was 56. He would grab a log with the 3pt hitch and pull it thru the woods to de-limb it. His son watched the whole thing happen in a flash. Tractor flipped over on him when the tree must have got snagged on something. I don't believe the inventors of the tractor had logging in mind when they put it together. Right tools for the right job?
Also, what the heck was he trying to de-limb trees like that for?

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #54  
Also, what the heck was he trying to de-limb trees like that for?
Roll bar and seat belt would have prevented that death.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #55  
I use my Kioti CK4010SE shuttle shift for grub work in the forest in super hilly terrain of Blue Ridge Mountains. I am not pulling huge full size trees and I know its smaller than most would use. I cut trees into 8ft logs to make it easier to move. My woods are thick and tight and I purposely bought the strongest tractor this size (that I could afford) I could for this purpose. All that being said I am super wary of the danger I am in and try to think everything through before doing anything. Personally I would rather drag a log than pull a loaded trailer on these hills. I do wear a seatbelt and rollbar but I also know that if the tractor rolls into a tree that comes across the cockpit, I am done. I have thought about welding more bars for added protection just for that reason. I'm not doing production work so I take my time, just cleaning up my place.

Anyway, if I was pulling a trailer up or down hills that is loaded I would want 4wd brakes and possibly trailer brakes, otherwise I wouldnt try it.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #56  
Hi,
I haven't really posted on this forum but have spoken to several of you by pm, soaking in all the wisdom that i can. I am considering purchasing a tractor with the primary purpose of towing a log loader and doing forestry work. Up until this year I've been reluctant on investing in a tractor primarily because of the maintenance requirements. I think the right tool for the right job approach is something had focused on, leaning towards frugal options.

Currently for basic skidding and yard work I've had relied other off road vehicles, which to my surprise is meeting all but one my requirements. Some logging work, specifically loading heavy 24"+ dia trees, has become a challenge and while I could manage I wanted to invest in something that made it easier. This year I bought a used log loader, a Metavic 1400 loader with 18RF trailer and started looking at the best towing options. I will be primarily using off road trails with some steep and hilly terrain, mildly hard soil (clay like), on mostly forest populated land. As such I need something that can tow this heavy trailer up/down hills and not fall apart. I have focused on identifying tractors that provide stability and power for the work, and quickly realized there is a lot to consider. With the hills, I felt full body steel frame tractors with 4WD would be best. I don't plan on loading the trailer up to its max capacity and will likely load a minimal amount on most trips.

I found a used 2006 Mahindra 4530 4WD w/o a loader available that seems to check all the boxes with exception to towing capacity, which I understand isn't something normally included on manufacturer specifications. The engine has 42hp and has less than 900 hours on it. I've done some basic research and understand there may be some issues which the tractor could have.

I am planning on down grading the trailer, moving the loader over to the new trailer to reduce the total weight
Current estimated log loader weight- Metavic 1400 + Metavic 18RF: 4125lb (18500 payload)
Future estimated log loader weight- Metavic 1400 + Metavic 17RF: 3225lb (14000 payload)

Is there a way to tell if the tractor I am considering would have enough towing capacity? Are there alternative vehicles (tractors) that I should consider - eg, a skid loader vs compact?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
I’m not exactly sure how you’re going about operations, and whether you are doing this as a commercial contractor or just on your land. I’ve never seen a logging operation where the log trailer is towed anywhere but on the road. Logs are skidded to the landing where the trailer is parked, then the trailer is towed on the road. If you are doing this commercially, you should really consider a used log skidder, not a tractor, then a different tow vehicle for the trailer on the road. If this is a homeowner project, then perhaps you can skid logs to the landing with a tractor, but as others have mentioned, towing a trailer that weighs more than the tractor is a dicey situation.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #57  
I use my Kioti CK4010SE shuttle shift for grub work in the forest in super hilly terrain of Blue Ridge Mountains. I am not pulling huge full size trees and I know its smaller than most would use. I cut trees into 8ft logs to make it easier to move. My woods are thick and tight and I purposely bought the strongest tractor this size (that I could afford) I could for this purpose. All that being said I am super wary of the danger I am in and try to think everything through before doing anything. Personally I would rather drag a log than pull a loaded trailer on these hills. I do wear a seatbelt and rollbar but I also know that if the tractor rolls into a tree that comes across the cockpit, I am done. I have thought about welding more bars for added protection just for that reason. I'm not doing production work so I take my time, just cleaning up my place.

Anyway, if I was pulling a trailer up or down hills that is loaded I would want 4wd brakes and possibly trailer brakes, otherwise I wouldnt try it.
Working in the woods, one of the more dangerous things. Here’s a good read to, hopefully, help.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #58  
Working in the woods, one of the more dangerous things. Here’s a good read to, hopefully, help.

Thanks for the link, that gives me some ideas.

/ The right tractor for towing/forestry work #59  
Roll bar and seat belt would have prevented that death.
Well, maybe. It sounds like that guy who was killed was pulling using some attach point above the center of the rear axle. That is just asking for trouble and generally no reason to do it.