Thicker gasket for Oil Filter

/ Thicker gasket for Oil Filter #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So I have a case of oil filters for the pump system and some of them come from different manufacturers. The one I opened today had a thick and a thin (width) gasket. I never saw the thick version, and when I tried it out it worked WAY better than the thin version. It works so well I am tempted to re-use it cause the other filters I have do not have thick rings.

Any thoughts on this find?

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 130
   / Thicker gasket for Oil Filter #2  
I've never seen a filter come with two- that's interesting. I would seek replacements with the size you like rather than reusing gaskets. Those appear to be o-rings which should be easy enough to find on their own. A good parts store should be able to order a dozen or two and cover you for a lifetime.

/ Thicker gasket for Oil Filter #3  
The filter comes with the thin gasket standard. There are two more versions of the gasket (it is not an o-ring). One is "L" shaped and one is thicker. You win the grand prize of the thick gasket!

I have never found one in stock at my local filter stores. Your photo motivates me to try to find one.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Peter

/ Thicker gasket for Oil Filter
Those thin ones are so friggin hard to put in. Takes me an hour to change that filter.

/ Thicker gasket for Oil Filter #5  
If a "thicker" gasket comes with the filter, I would expect it to be OK, but you might want to be careful with aftermarket gaskets. When I was a youngster working in my Dad's service station, I changed the oil filter on a Chevrolet truck, started it up, checked for leaks, etc. and all was well. But a couple of days later, it started leaking. And the reason? I had failed to see and remove the old gasket when I changed the oil filter. Double gaskets didn't work; a lesson I never forgot.

/ Thicker gasket for Oil Filter #6  
I did the same thing with my Silverado. Didn't notice the gasket was stuck on the housing. Didn't take me a couple days to find out though.