Thinking about getting set up for silage hay.

/ Thinking about getting set up for silage hay. #21  
That is absolutely absurd. The chopper must have been very, very much out of adjustment AND dull. You can't grow corn big & thick enough to make 150 HP work hard cutting 1 row at 1 MPH with a properly adjusted machine. You might get some of these folks to buy in, but I've cut wayyy to much silage to swallow that.

I have never cut any. All I know is what had been told to me. I have seen two others cutting silage before both chopped grass hay. And both pulled chopper with articulated tractors and very slow. So I thought this guy could be on que.

Could you pass along some details of tractor requirements speeds and any other knowledge you have gained?

/ Thinking about getting set up for silage hay. #22  
Had a client that was chopping corn for silage to put in a pit. Had a 150hp tractor chopping 1 row at 1mph said chopper was eating tractor. Had a guy come in and do it custom had a self-propelled chopper 6 rows at 7 mph. But I think he said he was running 640 hp.

A neighbor was putting up haylage (silage in a bale) decided to go to blowing it into bags. Bought all equipment used it one year learned he could roll it and wrap it faster. Haven't seen silage wagons at his place since first of the year. Will see what he does this year.

Id have the tractor checked out. We pull a 3 row with an old jd 4840 turned up to about 230 hp an it eats it with no problem