Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench
The real value of impacts is for disassembly....
I would never use any impact to tighten any fastener. I'll use them to snug something up. Thats it.

Why I rate any impact wrench for it 'breakaway torque' torque only and the Thor delivers in the excess of 1100 foot pounds of breakaway in a 6 pound tool. For 169 bucks it's quite a bargain.

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench #22  
I would never use any impact to tighten any fastener. I'll use them to snug something up. Thats it.

Why I rate any impact wrench for it 'breakaway torque' torque only and the Thor delivers in the excess of 1100 foot pounds of breakaway in a 6 pound tool. For 169 bucks it's quite a bargain.
Yeah kind of wish I had waited for that Thor to be on the market.
I needed a more powerful impact than my Ampro IR clone, that torque test channel uses as there starting point.
So I bought the Aircat 1178 VXL and it is real powerful for its size weight and length, but gives up some power to the Thor and the Aircat has a trigger that with rough use is known to break. It has been good so far though.

Wow,
Can't believe the Thor is even less money than the Aircat. If I need more power or break the VXL- that Will be my next 1/2" air impact.

/ Thor Onyx 1/2" drive impact wrench
...."Can't believe the Thor is even less money than the Aircat. If I need more power or break the VXL- that Will be my next 1/2" air impact.".....

I got it from Summit Racing, they have by far the best price and free shipping but I did have to wait for it as they ran out before I bought mine. Waited about 45 days for it. It was worth the wait. I agree with TTC on the notchy trigger, takes a bit of use to smooth out and it really requires Milton High Flow air couplers as well as large diameter air hose to reach it's full capacity.

I find it amazing how it stays at the very top of their leaderboard. No other tool can generate the beans in a 1/2" air impact. I also have an IR Thundergun, always thought it was pretty good for nut busting torque until I got the Astro Pneumatic Thor.

It is a little 'chunky', I will say that but it's well balanced for a 6 pound hammer. The trigger, even though it's slightly notchy when new, is still a staged trigger and the f-r feature is mounted above the trigger unlike the IR which is out back with the torque level setting. It's very well built and amazingly priced for a gun with it's power.

I hear you can get even more beans out of it with some internal mods but so far, none are required.